Is This A Decent CD-R Scan?

vbimport

I had some old Imation 32x CD-Rs laying around, and decided to test them. I haven’t done much CD-R burning, so don’t quite have the hang of judging scans. Is this OK?

Another disc burned with the Lite-On.

And a 32x scan of another disc.

I think I will reuse my answers from this thread:

[B]Verbatim Pastel error scans[/B]

LiteOn DVD drives are very limited in their usefulness for scanning CDs, so I suggest you scan using your Plextor drive and PlexTools (or PxScan/PxView) instead.

Thanks. And I just want to clarify, in addition to a Nexperia BenQ or Sanyo Plextor, would an Optiarc AD-7200x be good for CD scanning? In other words, is it just OK or passable, or truly accurate and reliable for CD scanning?

[quote=negritude;2124875]And I just want to clarify, in addition to a Nexperia BenQ or Sanyo Plextor, would an Optiarc AD-7200x be [B]good[/B] for CD scanning? In other words, is it just OK or passable, or truly accurate and reliable for CD scanning?[/quote] No scanner can be “accurate” in the true sense of the word, since the errors are not an objective property of the medium but a subjective result of the medium interacting with the reading drive.

I have made only few tests with my Optiarc AD-7203A (but more tests with previous NEC/Optiarc drives) and it seems to be an OK scanner for CD media, with some limitations in what it can report (C1=BLER=E11+E21+E31 and C2=E32). It’s possible that this drive like the previous generation (5170…7173) might report the occasional random spike during scanning.

Since I have both Nexperia based BenQ drives and Sanyo based Plextor drives, I don’t use my Optiarc drives for everyday scans. If I did not have those drives, I would use my Optiarc drives at 32x or 40x instead.

The biggest limitation of the Optiarcs and all other CD scanning capable drives that I know of, except the Plextors and BenQs, is that they don’t report jitter and they don’t report E22, both of which are important.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2124878]No scanner can be “accurate” in the true sense of the word, since the errors are not an objective property of the medium…If I did not have those drives, I would use my Optiarc drives at 32x or 40x instead…The biggest limitation of the Optiarcs and all other CD scanning capable drives that I know of, except the Plextors and BenQs, is that they don’t report jitter and they don’t report E22, both of which are important.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know no consumer-drive can be literally accurate, just give relative readings, but since few of us can afford industrial equipment in our homes, we make do with these crude tools. :doh:

Thanks for that clarification on Plextor and BenQ being the “best” CD scanners.

[quote=negritude;2124901]Yeah, I know no consumer-drive can be literally accurate, just give relative readings, but since few of us can afford industrial equipment in our homes, we make do with these crude tools. :doh:[/quote] No drive, including professional equipment, can be “accurate” in the true sense of the word - but professional equipment will produce more consistent and more detailed results.

There is no true objective C1/C2 or PI/PO error count on media - there is only C1/C2 and PI/PO resulting from a particular drive interacting with a particular disc at a particular time.

There is no “right” answer about C1/C2 on a disc (but plenty of wrong answers).

Thanks for that clarification on Plextor and BenQ being the “best” CD scanners.
No problem. :slight_smile:

I use one of my BenQ DW1655s for everyday CD scans (although I don’t burn and scan CD-R media every day) and I use my Plextor PX-760A for a second opinion when I want one.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2124902]There is no true objective C1/C2 or PI/PO error count on media - there is only C1/C2 and PI/PO resulting from a particular drive interacting with a particular disc at a particular time.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a die hard philosopher. There is no objective reality, either, since we can’t measure outside the particularities of consciousness. I got it, professor. :bigsmile: