Is there no solution to

Is there no solution to copyright protecting? I am not one of those people who wants to be the “DVD chick” in her group. I have a legitimate purpose for wanting to know. I make DVD slideshows for weddings, graduations, etc. and I don’t want my hard work to go to waste when people get together and say, “I will buy one copy and make 5 more from it.” I know it is pretty much impossible when we can burn any copyrighted major motion picture, but I just wonder what steps I need to take to AT LEAST, say the DVD was copyright protected if I find out someone did copy it. That way I can take legal action and maybe stop one more person from doing it. Any ideas are appreciated.

united states intellectual property law holds that the minute a work is created it is automatically copyrighted. you don’t even have to put a copyright notice on the work for the copyright to be valid.

obviously the more documentation you have the better your case will hold up (date of creation, a copyright notice within the work, others that can testify to your creating the work at the given time period)

the US copyright office website goes into the most detail regarding this if you’d like to check it out, but on the most basic level your work is copyrighted automatically.

prosecuting someone who violates your intellectual property rights is a whole other story (and probably the story you’re more interested in). In most cases this turns out to be more expensive than it is worth (regarding legal fees, etc) and may also result in bad publicity for you if this is your business.

there are programs that will “protect” your work, but they are not very effective at all. They will at least keep your average non-computer geek from doing a direct disc to disc copy with nero, but keep in mind that if someone really wants to copy the disc and has access to google then they will succeed.

a forum search should turn up relevant programs as this is a very common topic on cdfreaks.

please note that you did not say where you were from and the above is based on US copyright law and other countries can and will differ.

alternatively, a possible way to encourage customers to order more copies from you rather than make their own illegal copies is to increase the presentation value (nice cases/artwork/color printed discs) or offer attractive pricing packages (say $20 for order placement then $2 per additional copy…obviously it would be much more than that, but it’s just an example). By incorporating most of the price into the original order placement and charging less per copy customers will be more inclined to order more copies.

A buddy of mine had started a vacation/home video transfer service and these were some of the tactics he used to cut down on copying.

Thanks for letting me know that. I am from MS so that was helpful. I do the cases, printed discs and all, and do charge cheaper per additional copy and such so I hope it won’t be too big of a problem, but I know how the world works :slight_smile: