Is there any way to get

First of all I have always read posts on here and this is the first time i have needed to post. Thanks

I have a new DELL E520 and have just added a OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170S

The thing is I have always used recordnow 4.5 ( bloody love it) and it will not recognise the new writer

I have installed Nero and that does find it but i prefer recordnow 4.5

IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN USE RECORDNOW 4.5 WITH THIS DRIVE?

Hi and Welcome!

if Nero can handle your new drive, but RecordNow not, then either it is too old (see if there are any updates) or bundled with a certain drive (if the software came with a drive or computer).

Michael

Check RecordNow for updates sometimes they at slow to update for newer drives.

The Sonic website is the place to get updates for the PXEngine , maybe they’ve got some updates available.

No luck on this and to be honest I am having a lot of bad discs where movie just stops at random points

Since getting the new Dell PC with GSA H31N and then putting in a new Optiarc AD 7170S I seem to struggle burning dvds

I am using same discs

Riteks go5 burning at 8x
Panasonic tth02 16x burning at 8x

I have used most of the burning software with same results

Which writer of the 2 above would you recomend to use and with which software?

or should i go out and buy a new writer etc
Anybody any simple ideas to help me?

Hi,

maybe a media or system configuration issue.

Since getting the new Dell PC with GSA H31N and then putting in a new Optiarc AD 7170S I seem to struggle burning dvds
What happens exactly?
You might at first check the cables if they are properly installed. Also check the settings of your SATA controllers in BIOS: for running optical drives, they should be set to IDE compatible mode.

I am using same discs

Riteks go5 burning at 8x
Panasonic tth02 16x burning at 8x
Avoid Ritek G05 as they degrade really fast. Also, TTH02 isn’t brilliant either (but expensive if Panasonic branded). Try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

I have used most of the burning software with same results
This proves that this is no software issue.

Which writer of the 2 above would you recomend to use and with which software?
Doesn’t matter, both are good (but I’d always prefer the LG over the NEC). Software doesn’t matter either, just use the software you like best for your purpose.

or should i go out and buy a new writer etc
The NEC is rather new, and since both writers don’t offer good results, there seems to be a general issue with your system. Maybe some rogue copy protection software or similar.

Michael

cheers for that

just checked aspi and it says not properly insatlled

has versions

is this summat to do with it?

LOG0143: *****************************************************************
 LOG0144: Starting ASPICHECK installer on Thu Jul 12 11:20:46 2007

ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)
UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 07/17/2002 08:20:56, 45056 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.71.2.0
UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll dated 07/17/2002 15:22:26, 5600 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021
UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 07/17/2002 07:53:02, 16877 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.71.2.0
UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe dated 07/17/2002 15:22:34, 4672 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021
ASPICHK0522: Inconsistent version numbers among components
ASPICHK0592: ASPI installation has problems
LOG0218: Closing installer log on Thu Jul 12 11:20:46 2007
LOG0219: *****************************

just looked in BIOS

I HAVE 2 HARD DRIVES -NOT IN RAID) and 2 DVD DRIVES

WHEN IN CONFIG IT SAYS IN RAID so I change it to non raid

BUT IF I CHANGE IT WINDOWS WONT BOOT UP

Killaspi.
No need to have Aspi on a WinXP system running SATA drives. Also, that mix of old and very old versions will cause trouble.

That is due to missing drivers perhaps.
Also, some Dell machines come with 2 HDDs configured as RAID (possibly JBOD settings), so RAID has to be enabled then.
I suspect, this kind of a mess is the main reason of your problems. Maybe you should give Dell support a call. Or check their support area on the web, they also have a rather good forum there.

Michael

mciahel cheers mate youve been most helpful

ive killed the aspi just looking into bios now

the dell came with one hard drive and i added another- its not in RAID though so dont know why that if i turn RAID off then windows wont boot

just checked the log on last burn and seen this

waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level and another regarding buffer- NOTICED THAT THE BUFFER IS UP AND DOWN LIKE A YO YO AND BURNS SLOWLY

last time that happened i had to change from PIO to DMA in settings

I cannot find these settings at all and I presume i dont need to with the 2 dvd writers being SATA

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

the dell came with one hard drive and i added another- its not in RAID though so dont know why that if i turn RAID off then windows wont boot
This is strange. Maybe you disconnect the NEC and try again.

waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level and another regarding buffer- NOTICED THAT THE BUFFER IS UP AND DOWN LIKE A YO YO AND BURNS SLOWLY

last time that happened i had to change from PIO to DMA in settings

I cannot find these settings at all and I presume i dont need to with the 2 dvd writers being SATA
That’s what I thought, too. I have to admit, that I am not familiar with SATA drives at all. To check DMA, read this thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Michael

Cheers again

I dont think there are dma setting as there are ani IDE controllers in the device manager