Is there any software I can use with the PIONEER DVR-115D to check media "quality"?

vbimport

I just got a Pioneer DVR-115D.

I am very dismayed to see that I cannot use this drive with NeroDiscSpeed to check the quality of burned discs like with my old LiteOn 201AH. At first I thought I was just going crazy and that there must be something wrong with my system but I am now 99% positive that this drive just doesn’t work with DiscSpeed for read analyses for some unknown reason (???).

If I had known this I would not have bought it - I wondered why the posts in the “Pioneer DVR-115: Post your scans and questions here” thread that I looked at were using a different drive for the READ tests but I assumed it was just because you folks were such quality conscious experts that you all use a dedicated different drive to do that type of testing. I didn’t know that it DIDN’T WORK PERIOD!! Or am I wrong? Is there something that needs to be done to make it work with DiscSpeed???

Or is there any other software that I can use like DiscSpeed for checking quality of burned discs with this drive???

There are various posts around the forum stating the reason why CD-DVD Speed doesn’t work with Pioneer dries [may not have been easily found]: Pioneer drives don’t scan, at least not reliably. For that reason, the ability to try to scan has been removed from CD-DVD Speed for Pioneer drives.

You can try DVD Info Pro, but don’t expect to compare results with most/any of the scans in the other threads–the scanning results will be totally different from what would be reported from a LiteOn, BenQ, Plextor, or Samsung drive. And the results themselves may not be consistent [example: you may scan the same disc twice, but get wildly varying results].

[QUOTE=Albert;2174776]There are various posts around the forum stating the reason why CD-DVD Speed doesn’t work with Pioneer dries [may not have been easily found]: Pioneer drives don’t scan, at least not reliably. For that reason, the ability to try to scan has been removed from CD-DVD Speed for Pioneer drives.

You can try DVD Info Pro, but don’t expect to compare results with most/any of the scans in the other threads–the scanning results will be totally different from what would be reported from a LiteOn, BenQ, Plextor, or Samsung drive. And the results themselves may not be consistent [example: you may scan the same disc twice, but get wildly varying results].[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for your answer.

I had read somewhere that the drive wasn’t great for reading but was the “best” writer you could get - I didn’t pick up on that it was so terrible at reading that it isn’t even reliable, and cannot use it with DiscSpeed. Dammit. I spent so much time (over a week) researching what drive to buy to replace my failing Liteon and even after doing all that I still get stuck with something that does not do what I need to do. I wish this type of thing had been mentioned right up front in the reviews and comments to make this clearer. It is worthless for me to have a drive that I cannot use to check burn quality.

If anyone can recommend a drive that is good at BOTH writing and reading that also works with DiscSpeed please speak up. To help others avoid the same mistake as me I will post a warning about this in the thread that first turned me onto this drive - that was the one where it was voted #1…sigh…

Look for a for sale ad to be posted by me for my new 115 if this forum has such a thing.

I think you have misunderstood Pio’s are good at both reading and writing just not good for scanning with Nero CD Speed, Thats why Pio’s were removed from CD Speed, I think to many people are relying on what CD Speed shows for scanning, as long as the movie plays great and looks good why worry about scanning IMHO, I know a lot of people will disagree but each to their own I guess

The best kind of test you can perform with your Pioneer 115(D) IMO is to use the Read Speed (benchmark) test in Nero CD-DVD Speed (or DiscSpeed) and look for a nice smooth curve with no major dips.

To complete the posters before you still can scan with Pioneer and CD-DVD Speed if you use an older version maybe 4.7.0.2 or older. But the only benefit you will have is only unnecessary uncertainty about your burns. If the 111 was a bad scanner 112,115 are incapable and worthless. Some scans will look like this http://forum.gleitz.info/showpost.php?p=376007&postcount=14. Both same burn first scanned with Pioneer 112, second LiteOn.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2174940]The best kind of test you can perform with your Pioneer 115(D) IMO is to use the Read Speed (benchmark) test in Nero CD-DVD Speed (or DiscSpeed) and look for a nice smooth curve with no major dips.[/QUOTE]

Ditto :iagree:

Often the reading test is underestimated, and many people rely on the scan only to evaluate the quality of a burn.

Some discs with excellent scans can be completely unreadable (coasters), and discs with ugly scans can be perfectly readable, so the reading test is essential in the evaluation of a burning.

Other than the aforementioned test, you can use the Verify functions of ImgBurn, that make an accurate check of the disc sector by sector comparing it with the files you just burned :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2174933]I think you have misunderstood Pio’s are good at both reading and writing just not good for scanning with Nero CD Speed, Thats why Pio’s were removed from CD Speed, I think to many people are relying on what CD Speed shows for scanning, as long as the movie plays great and looks good why worry about scanning IMHO, I know a lot of people will disagree but each to their own I guess[/QUOTE]

thank jimbo - and you are right - at first whenever i read the word “scanning” up here i interpreted that to mean “reading”, just like i equate the words “burning” with “writing”, so i used “reading” above when really it should say “scanning”

i did read in several comments that the pioneer was not a good drive at “scanning”, and i interpreted that to mean it wasn’t that great at “reading” in whatever capacity, BUT i still took that to mean it was “ok” or “acceptable” - like somebody saying a car doesn’t get great gas mileage, you can still get to where you are going; i just figured that the pioneer would take longer to read/scan, not that it would be totally unreliable at that (scanning) function

i understand the difference now but i’m still very disappointed in this drive, my original take on this situation still remains the same in that i found it very useful to be able to check media i buy with cdspeed to see if it even works “well” with whatever media i’m using so i can avoid certain types, or adjust my write speed or whatever the issue might be, plus very useful for those times when i get a disc from someone else that behaves crazily in some way and that i then can run it through cdspeed for a quality scan and see if it is acting up because of a media problem or just authored wrong

there were just so many things i found useful with using the quality scan feature of cdspeed that i really miss it now

thanks for your comment :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2174940]The best kind of test you can perform with your Pioneer 115(D) IMO is to use the Read Speed (benchmark) test in Nero CD-DVD Speed (or DiscSpeed) and look for a nice smooth curve with no major dips.[/QUOTE]

thanks - can you use that to diagnose if a disc has an unacceptable number of errors/is “bad”, like you can the quality info?

[quote=slipkid;2175054]thanks - can you use that to diagnose if a disc has an unacceptable number of errors/is “bad”, like you can the quality info?[/quote] That particular subject is discussed at length again and again in several threads in e.g. our [I]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/I] forum. The very simplified answer is as follows:

The Read Transfer test will tell you something very important about your disc - whether the disc is easily readable in that drive or not.

Quality Scan will not tell you about actual readability of the disc (with a few exceptions), but it will provide you more detailed information about low-level error detection and correction, which can be used to compare discs that have been determined to be be readable by other means (such as e.g. a verify, Read Transfer, ScanDisc or similar method).

So you optimally need both types of test for a good idea about “quality”.

[QUOTE=geno888;2175020]Ditto :iagree:
Other than the aforementioned test, you can use the Verify functions of ImgBurn, that make an accurate check of the disc sector by sector comparing it with the files you just burned :)[/QUOTE]

thanks, i do do that - or used to - but you know what? in all the thousands of discs i’ve burned i’ve never found a single one that fails that verify test, so i didn’t think it was a very good thing at judging media quality, and i stopped doing it

with the new burner i have turned that switch back on and no problems so far, but it seems almost a waste of time (?)

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2175057]That particular subject is discussed at length again and again in several threads in e.g. our [I]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/I] forum. The very simplified answer is as follows:

The Read Transfer test will tell you something very important about your disc - whether the disc is easily readable in that drive or not.

Quality Scan will not tell you about actual readability of the disc (with a few exceptions), but it will provide you more detailed information about low-level error detection and correction, which can be used to compare discs that have been determined to be be readable by other means (such as e.g. a verify, Read Transfer, ScanDisc or similar method).

So you optimally need both types of test for a good idea about “quality”.[/QUOTE]

thanks very much! i will try to read that above thread [oops - i see it is an entire forum with many threads - holy cow!!]

i have learned a lot about this stuff thanks to this forum! but still, i wish i had bought a different drive now :frowning:

It’s a great burner so how about pairing it up with another drive to test with. You do have places for 2 drives yes?

[quote=slipkid;2175060]i have learned a lot about this stuff thanks to this forum! but still, i wish i had bought a different drive now :-([/quote] Don’t be sorry - the Pioneer 115 series is one of the best ever for producing high quality burns.

[quote=Bob;2175088]It’s a great burner so how about pairing it up with another drive to test with.[/quote] The only acceptable solution for a CDFreak! :iagree: :wink:

[QUOTE=Bob;2175088]It’s a great burner so how about pairing it up with another drive to test with. You do have places for 2 drives yes?[/QUOTE]

right but unfortunately all my drive bays are full - and i don’t really feel like buying yet another drive anyway :frowning:

i only have slots for 2 drives, and one of those is already a “CDFREAK” type solution :wink:

i put an old lite-on CDR burner model 52327s in the PC so i could get good DAE speed with EAC in secure mode (i can get around 8-9x with it), and to also have another drive to burn CDRs to take some of the load of my old dvd burner for both CDR reading and writing

afaik there are no dvd burners out there that can get as good DAE/performance speed with EAC as a CD burner (or reader) so i split that function up between 2 different type drives, using a dvd burner for DVDs and a cd burner for CDs

my old lite-on 20a1h used to get only around 2-3x with EAC and i tested the new pioneer on one disc and only got about the same speed

if anyone knows of a decent (yet inexpensive) dvd drive that can work with nerocd/discspeed for quality scanning, PLUS give good DAE with fast speed of at least 8x with EAC in secure mode please let me know, i would consider buying that and replacing my CD burner with it i guess

on the bright side of all this i am getting way faster burn speeds with DVDs on the pioneer than my liteon 20a1h, but i’m too paranoid to use above 8x since i can’t verify for sanity’s sake what speeds have good “quality” scores (and i am just guessing that 8x will be “good” since that seems to generally be accepted as the best speed to burn at these days?)

i made a bunch of test discs at varying speeds on different media that i was going to check for quality so i could decide on what speeds to use but saw i could not check 'em!!! which led me to post up here

anyways, enough rambling from me…i appreciate the insights

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2175110]

The only acceptable solution for a CDFreak! :iagree: ;)[/QUOTE]

The beginning of the solution. :wink:

Wow. Just wow. Scary.