Is there any 8x DVD+R for Lite-on 851

vbimport

I was wondering if there was any 8x DVD+R media that I can use on my Liteon 851 drive. Thanks.

The media code scanner in the speedhacking tool pack will tell you which +R media codes are officially supported at 8x.

Get code65536’s speedhacking toolkit and you will never look back…props to code65536 :bow:

I even get my 2.4x Khypermedia+ discs to burn at 8X with no problems on my LDW851S(external 8x buslink)…

I just got these and after a speedhack thay burn at 8x.

I bought some Ritek 8X discs a few months ago and they were the exact same discs as my Memorex 4X discs. I can burn them all at 8X on my 811 drive without any problems.

I’ve read reports here and there of retailers selling 4x media as 8x. It wouldn’t be the first time it happened :frowning:

Originally posted by aaronwt
I bought some Ritek 8X discs a few months ago and they were the exact same discs as my Memorex 4X discs. I can burn them all at 8X on my 811 drive without any problems.

Watch out. Some of the Arita/Ritek/Cyq’ve discs can be RITEKR03, which do not burn well at 8x…

The 4x DVD+ Memorex "RICOH"s will burn at 8x with the GSOH firmware.

And the 4xDVD+ Memorex “CMC” will burn at 8x with the GSOH+Speedhack.

So far playback has been fine with my 7 PCs, 2 XBOXs, and 3 KLH KD-1220s.

jms

Originally posted by jmike314
The 4x DVD+ Memorex "RICOH"s will burn at 8x with the GS0H firmware.

No, only 4x on GS0H. If you’re using 451@851, you’ll see that it’s 8x only because the 451@851 patcher applies a speedhack the Ricoh R01 and MCC 002 media types. But for original 851S owners who don’t use the overclock patcher, they’ll still be stuck at 4x unless they go in and change it.

I see many media codes like RICOHJPNR01 R02 etc and I am wondring how do you know which 4X + R media you are buying can actually allows u to write at 8X??

Those vendors dont show you that kind of code info when u shop, so how do u guys know what to buy?

I am buying some 4X +R media and want to make sure my 851S can write 8X on them, without speedhacking, can anyone post some links to those 4X +R media ??

thanks

Originally posted by kfm999
Those vendors dont show you that kind of code info when u shop, so how do u guys know what to buy?

Have a look around the media forum, this question is asked there all the time. It usually (but not always) can be told be the type of packaging, color or shape of the spindle (or cakebox) as well as the labeling.

You can also search by DVD Media name (ie Memorex, Maxell, etc etc) here. It will then display all the types of media codes that are sold under that name. If media sold under that name only has one media code associated then you are lucky and will know what you are getting. In some cases there may only be two and if they are both high quality that is usually not a problem either. Where you run into issues is when there are two or more media types sold under one name and one or more of those media types is crap.

If the vendor does not list the media code I would be hesitant to buy it myself. My best answer would be to try and only buy from a vendor that lists the media code.

If you are in the US, just lookat my post for a link. I think, but I am not sure, that you can create your own speedhack using the specific code for your media. If it is good quality media, it should write at 8x after a speedhack to your firmware.

I live in the US and have a liteon 851S, I looked many places but still, anyone got any places they bought 4X media from that can be used as 8X on 851S? I would appreciate any recommendations. I have problem finding vendors that have media codes clearly listed.

Thanks

[B]I live in the US and have a liteon 851S, I looked many places but still, anyone got any places they bought 4X media from that can be used as 8X on 851S? I would appreciate any recommendations. I have problem finding vendors that have media codes clearly listed.

Thanks [/B]

Starting this week, Best Buy has a 100-pack of Fuji 4x +R discs on sale for $1/disc. Good price, and Fuji Ricohs are amongst the better Ricohs.

Alternatively, buy the 50-pack (not the 25-pack) of Samsung 4x +R at $1.14/disc from newegg.com. Unless things have changed over the course of a week, those should be Taiyo Yuden–the best there is.

Or, you can get the 50-pack RiData 4x +R from newegg.com. These are cheaper than the Fuji Ricohs at Best Buy, and while many people have reported RiData 4x +R to be RICOHJPNR01, there’s a chance that you might get RITEKR02 (there have been reports of it being RITEKR02), which is not as good of media as RICOHJPNR01.

(newegg.com is based in Southern California; taxes for CA, NJ, and TN residents; shipping is usually free)

Or as rdgrimes often suggests, you can go to www.accaproducts.com (based in Southern CA; dunno about their shipping policy) and get your media there.

Thanks for the info Code65536, I didnt know buying media is like betting ur luck :slight_smile:

Do u use +R? next time when u run into good priced/quality 4X +R thats good for 8X on 811S/851S, please!

Do u use +R?

Yes, I almost exclusively use +R now. I think that the Fuji Ricohs are the best bet. If it weren’t for the fact that I currently have a nearly 200-disc stockpile, I’d go out and grab that 100-pack myself. :wink: You know what you’ll be getting, and you know that Fuji Ricohs are amongst the better ones out there. The Samsung is also a good bet, I think. Though you can’t be 100% sure that they’re TY, I don’t think that they’ll suddenly switch their supplier in just one week. At 1.14/disc, those are some of the cheapest TYs I’ve ever seen. RiData 4x +R is a bit more of a gamble. The reason why www.accaproducts.com gets recommended often is that while they don’t have the greatest of prices, you can ask them what media code their media is, and they’ll tell you.

If I were you, I’d remove that e-mail address. This forum is visited by a lot of people and probably by spambots as well. Putting yours address out like that is inviting spam…

Don’t you just love the “media mystery game” everyone has to play!?!

:frowning:

Unless you are 100% sure I would tend go with a retailer that tells you media code. My online supplier in Canada lists media code right in the product description (www.blankmedia.ca) so I’m pretty lucky compared to most people. Very frustrating stuff eh?

Hahaha yeah its like blind dating, cant wait to strip, insert, and see what the media code is!

Then, either be happy or be stuck with a batch of inferior DVDs.

I guess that makes this sharing experience more important, I ordered from newegg.com as code65536 did and hopefully that Samsung batch is the TY ones like the ones hes got.

Crossing my fingers :slight_smile:

nikon, over at speedlabs.org has put together an impressive MEDIA list database. :cool:

When I´m looking for new media, I start in shops/supermarkets where I can visualy check the media and mediacode.
Shrinkwrapped spindles are easy to determent the code. Discs in (juvel-) cases are a bit harder…
First after a survey, I order media on Internet. Then I know for 99% sure what I will get. :wink:
(Not all of us can order from Canada. :sad: )

Edit; removed part that belongs to other thread.