Is there and Digital camera deals this week?

vbimport

My daughter is looking for a digital camera for summer so is there any deals around?

It will be used mostly outside if that matters, her budget is $100. There are so many cameras out now I’m lost and she needs one SOON so if anyone can point me to a specific model that would be preferred because we don’t have time to research :o

thanks

Yo MegaDETH-

I have the Sony DSC-S700 - and have taken it on 5 cruises so far-

Takes great - sharp pictures (the latest one of me in the ‘Dare To Post REAL picture’ in L/R is taken by this camera) - even made me ugly mug presentable - uses two ‘AA’ batteries (I use rechargables) is very compact and light (fits comfortably in front pocket) and available from Radio Shack stores for $110 here:

My brother just bought the Canon SD750 Digital ELPH for 100$ open box from :

http://www.essexretailoutlet.com/newsletter/05302008.html

They also have the Sony but I prefer Canon

I am waiting for Canon SD 850IS to hit 200$ and will make my brother get me one before he comes to Egypt late July :smiley:

Thanks guys, I will check them out.

The Sony DSC-S700 is in her price range and Radio Shack is 3 blocks away :slight_smile:

I like Sony P&S cameras. We have had a P200 for 2-3 years and it works great to this day. I also think Sony has pretty good lenses on their cameras for the price. One thing I highly recommend is to get a small case to keep it in when she isn’t using it. It will keep dust off the sensor and protect it if she drops it. Something like this works well: http://tinyurl.com/4zfo7x

While I have a sony camera and think its very good, keep in mind the higher cost of memory sticks (if it uses them, many sony’s do), and the high cost of sony batteries (if it doesn’t use aa/aaa). Granted it was a couple of years ago and memory sticks have dropped in price (they are still 2-4 times the price of other memory cards and batteries are still high), but I had to shell out another 250$ for 2 memory sticks and 3 spare batteries. Consider the higher cost as part of the cost of the camera.

Yo ripit-

The S700 takes AA batteries (2) and uses Memory Stick Duo - here’s 1gb for $16.44 shipped from Amazon:

So it is economical to run-eh!!

Looks like a winner bigmike, thanks for all your input everyone!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2069406]Yo ripit-

The S700 takes AA batteries (2) and uses Memory Stick Duo - here’s 1gb for $16.44 shipped from Amazon:

So it is economical to run-eh!![/QUOTE]

I agree. The cost of memory sticks for any camera nowadays is almost inconsequential. I found a replacement battery for our P200 on ebay for $5 and it works just fine. Since the S700 uses AA batteries he can get a charger and four rechargeables for $10-$15. These will last her about as long as the camera will and it is the green way to go too.

I try to always stick with cameras that use AA batteries (even my dslr uses AA batteries). Some of those battery packs are pretty expensive. I paid 40$ a piece for my sony ones after finding a deal and using a coupon (normally about 60$). Brand generics were about 40$ too and cheap generics (about 30$ had lots of reported problems). The panisonic camcorder I recently got is the same way (the high capacity panisonic brand battery is over 100$). On top of that if you loose your charger or it breaks, another one can be pricey. You can get a good fast charger, a travel charger and several sets of nimh aa batteries for a fraction of the cost, plus in a pinch, you can always use alkaline batteries.

[quote=bigmike7;2069406]Yo ripit-

So it is economical to run-eh!![/quote]

I gotta agree. My DSC-S730 doesn’t eat batteries, and lasts for a nice long time on 2x2500 mAh AA batteries. Actually took 5 days for it to die the first time, including about 500 pictures, 10 to 20 video clips, and leaving it on while reviewing the pictures and videos with the camera connected by USB for a couple of hours. It’s a real winner.

The S730 also makes little more than a tiny dent in the 2 GB Memory Card I have, even when taking long video clips. It only requires me to copy all the pictures to my computer every 2 weeks or so, depending on how many pictures I actually keep and don’t delete. So I’m sure a 1 GB card will be more than plenty for the average person. :iagree:

Well, here’s one more vote for the AA batteries. I use a combination of disposables and rechargables depending on a given situation.
They work great in my Canon PS S1 IS and in my ancient Kodak.

The Sony sounds like a winner, but just to offer up more options.

I just picked up 2 Olympus F 310 cameras for the kids (22 and 20 yrs old).
They’re light, easy and take great pics. (Got 'em on sale direct through a company promo that’s gone now…but still pretty reasonably priced at Amazon, Newegg, etc.
Only takes 2 AA batteries and per user reviews, the battery life is the only complaint. Frankly, not a big deal with any of these cameras…keep a few pairs, disposable or rechargable on hand.

One more FYI, all memory cards are not created equal…

I bought two of the 2 GB xd cards…the M type
These are 1.5 times faster than the plain xD cards and cost me about $20 each ($ 1.25 more each)…a no brainer.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1351

Thanks everyone and bigmike, just bought the Sony DSC-S700.

They had to ship it from another store so we won’t get it for a few days.

I have plenty of AA rechargeable batteries woot!

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2069845]Thanks everyone and bigmike, just bought the Sony DSC-S700.

They had to ship it from another store so we won’t get it for a few days.

I have plenty of AA rechargeable batteries woot![/QUOTE]

Yo Mega-

She’s gonna [I]really[/I] like that camera-eh!! :iagree: :clap: