Is there an online version of DVD Identifier?

vbimport

Nowadays, a lot of utilities are available for use online instead of download/install. For example, instead of downloading a software to resize/crop/add special effects to your photos, you can do it online with Pic Resize (http://www.picresize.com/). This online utility is so popular that it has 48 million pictures served.

Is there an online version of DVD Identifier? If none, possible to come out with one?

Benefits to developers:

1. Banner ad revenues like how Pic Resize made from the 48 millions pictures served
  2. No need to release installers for the community
  3. No need to release software updates or bug fixes to the community

Benefits to the community:

1. No need to install software on computer
  2. No need to update software periodically for updates, bug fixes or database updates
  3. Ideal for occasional users who wants to know who is the manufacturer of the blank media they bought

Well, for there to be an online version, you’d still have to have some medium installed on your computer (a full program, or a plugin, or whatever) to access your hardware and read the information on the disc itself.

The difference between this and the photo resizing is that you can send the photo off into the cloud and let all the processing go on there. You can’t quite do that with a physical disc and the physical drive. At the point that you’ve installed the necessary plugins/software to access your hardware and share that information with a web app, you might as well have the whole application installed and just pull down an occasional update.

I’m not a techie and didn’t know there would still be a need to install something on my computer. I would imagine if Pic Resize could access my hard drive to read the jpeg file, I would thought DVD Identifier would be able to read the blank media sitting on my DVD drive.

The whole idea is not to install, trend now is online access and cloud computing. Be a little sad that a software that read blank media on a remote disk drive cannot be done without installing something on the remote computer first.

Again, maybe reading blank media is not as simple as resizing a pic, so this is maybe not a feasibility.

[QUOTE=Albert;2709212]The difference between this and the photo resizing is that you can send the photo off into the cloud so the NSA can examine it, and let all the processing go on there.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you, Albert. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pentel;2709222]The whole idea is not to install, trend now is bending over for the NSA’s rectal exam which is the point of cloud computing.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you, too. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pentel;2709222]I’m not a techie and didn’t know there would still be a need to install something on my computer. I would imagine if Pic Resize could access my hard drive to read the jpeg file, I would thought DVD Identifier would be able to read the blank media sitting on my DVD drive.

The whole idea is not to install, trend now is online access and cloud computing. Be a little sad that a software that read blank media on a remote disk drive cannot be done without installing something on the remote computer first.

Again, maybe reading blank media is not as simple as resizing a pic, so this is maybe not a feasibility.[/QUOTE]The thing is, there must be software support for remote access on both ends. In the case of the photo uploader, the software exists partly in the browser and partly in the operating system to allow you to safely give one file up without making all your other files available. There has never been such a need to make low-level hardware access available in such a high-level (and insecure!) fashion, so it’s highly probable that this will never happen.

Firmware updaters, backup tools, remote access tools, remote assistance tools, computer analysis tools, even Internet recovery solutions built into some laptops require you to first install some little fob onto your computer to toss data around. All these tools must do this in a proprietary way, as there is no support for this built into any of the protocols that support network/remote access.

[QUOTE=negritude;2709240]Fixed that for you, Albert. :bigsmile:

Fixed that for you, too. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Mischievous goober. :bigsmile:

Ok, thanks for the info. Didn’t realize it is far more complex than I imagined. Learn something today :slight_smile: