Is there an alternative to using Nero? (Asus DRW-2014L1T)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Asus DRW-2014L1T. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve just purchased the Asus DRW-2014L1T. Have to wait for a sata cable before installation. The burner comes with Nero 8 Essentials. Is it mandatory to use Nero with this burner? On a previous computer (several years back) I installed a Plextor burner with came with Nero Essentials (not sure of the version number). My experience with Nero was that it locked itself in as the only pathway to the burner. If I was viewing a file, I could not simply copy/burn it to a CD/DVD. I had to close out the file, open Nero, locate and select the file and then burn from there. I thought this to be ridiculous! I’m a bit leery of just installing Nero with the new Asus as I’ve read forum postings saying that some posters could not totally uninstall Nero, once installed? Does it leave parts behind that affect the future use of the burner?
A very large thank you to the person who wrote the original review of the Asus DRW-2014L1T. Burners are not high ticket items and it was a relief to find such a thorough work up for a relatively inexpensive item. Didn’t really want to keep throwing money at DVD burners until I found one I liked.

When it comes with the burner then Nero is OEM.
Normally you cannot use that Nero then with another burner…

@ 49winterman,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are not “mandated” to use N e r o with your Asus-DRW-2014L1T Burner and can use any CD/DVD Burning software program you desire with your Asus-DRW-2014L1T.

There are numerous excellent “Free” CD/DVD Burning programs. Suggest reviewing the CD Freaks General Software Forum Read First posting titled “Free Downloads” and note the software programs listed under “CD/DVD Burning” ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/free-downloads-your-welcome-128075

N e r o is aware of the invasive nature of the N e r o software program and has provided a N e r o Clean Tool to “Completely” remove the remnants of N e r o installation from a Computer. Suggest using the N e r o Clean Tool to clean up the mess of an N e r o installation ->

Regards,
bjkg

Thank You Very Much!!

depending on what you are wanting to do, ImgBurn will burn pretty much anything you want. Write mode for image and Build mode for data.

Hello. Try Burning Studio 8. Very good. They had a free 2008 version. Try to find it.