Is there a way to turn a "5" in "6"?

hi, i’m the happy owner of a lite-on 40125W@48, and i noticed there is the new 2S03 f/w for the 40126W. now, my question is: is it possible to turn my 40@48 with the “5” chipset in a “6”, as done succesfully with the 32123S turned in 40125S, or the differences between “5” and “6” are too big?
for example: a friend of mine with a 32@40 (XSU1), tried to flash his virtual 40125s with its ZS0 series of f/w, but noticed there were then some problems during recordings, i.e. with rw discs if i remember well.
so, the same happens with the change of “5” in “6”, or even worst; or simply the drive doesn’t realise the chipset has changed and all goes well?
think i will not sleep for a week, until anybody tell me something about it.

No

Go to sleep!

:bigsmile:

try flash it with mtkflash ,if have “something” happen ,just reflash the old firmware…

but i must remain you :Try it @ your own risk.

If you are so exited about this then just try it!!!

There is enought info on this forum to make your trials quasi harmless to the drive.
Use MTKFLASH do a backup and go for the adventure, you just live once don’t you?:cool:

The differences between 5 and 6 series chipsets are physical and cannot be changed my mtkflash.

Of course that the chipset cannot be changed but the new software can be triyed with the old chipset just to see if it works and if it brings someting new to us.

well, the point is just this, flashing the firmware bypassing the physical limitation, as done with the 32123s (“3” chipset) upgraded in 40125s (“5” chipset). my original question was if the differences between “5” and “6” are much greater than tose between “3” and “5”. maybe it is so, maybe not, and i don’t feel fine to overclock my 40@48 with “5” chipset in a new “6”. but the forum lives for this kind of questions, don’t it?

well, the point is just this, flashing the firmware bypassing the physical limitation, as done with the 32123s (“3” chipset) upgraded in 40125s (“5” chipset).

This isn’t possible either! Read the FAQ precisely.

Originally posted by giomatta
well, the point is just this, flashing the firmware bypassing the physical limitation, as done with the 32123s (“3” chipset) upgraded in 40125s (“5” chipset). my original question was if the differences between “5” and “6” are much greater than tose between “3” and “5”. maybe it is so, maybe not, and i don’t feel fine to overclock my 40@48 with “5” chipset in a new “6”. but the forum lives for this kind of questions, don’t it?

Not quite sure about this, but the 32123 overclocking was based on using an OEM firmware for a 40x CDRW with a 3 chipset, which is why it worked (well, not for me…)

Originally posted by giomatta
…if the differences between “5” and “6” are much greater than tose between “3” and “5”. …

You know, chipsets come and go and new chipsets are supposed to bring some new functionalities. But the software doesn’t necessarely exploit the chipset’s new functions and the engineers at Liteon don’t rewrite all software for ewery new chipset, so it may be interresting to try that out.

hoping someone was trying by himself, to see if the yhing works.
my 40@48n goes well indeed, and the question was only curiosity.
but if somebody tells it works …

I’m sure in the short future people will be interrested