Burner: Pioneer BDR-205 (firmware: Stock 1.04)
Media: Verbatim BD-R (Item #96769) - Label says 4x but they burn at 10x - "Verbatimc" code
To try to make a long story short:
Picked up this drive back when it came out along two two packs of Verbatim 4x BD-R 10-Packs. I heard bad things about the latest firmware at the time (1.08) so stuck with the stock because up until now, I never had any burn issues and I figured "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
Up until last night, I had burned 13 of the BDR discs, about the same number of Taiyo Yuden DVDs (All discs bought from Rima.com) and maybe three or four CDs.
I started a backup project recently that would end up filling all seven of my remaining BDR discs with various directories of .rar content split into 50mb pieces. Last night I burned the seven discs, and as I always do after I finish a burn session, I ran WinDiff to compare the contents of the new disc with the contents of the burn folders.
Of the first disc of 421 files, WinDiff came upon a mis-match in one of the files. After the scan was over, I attempted to extract the .rar contents and it popped up a CRC error. Uh-oh!
I then decided to open both the original rar and the burned rar in HexWorkshop to compare them. HWS found them to be a perfect match.
So I opened the file in WinRAR yet again and attempted an extraction. It extracted perfectly this time. No error.
Not content with accepting this weird turn-around, I attempted to use my old copy of Nero DiscSpeed 22.214.171.124 to check for problems only to discover that it doesn't work with BD. Went to the website only to find out that the developer is no longer doing DiscSpeed and is selling some program called Opti Drive now. I found a new version of DiscSpeed on Nero's site, though. Except when I try that version, it tells me it can't lock the drive and refuses to do anything at all. I popped the disc out, put it back in and tried again, no dice.
Decided to try to extract the .rar again. This time it gave the CRC error again. I compared it in HWS again and this time it found a mismatch. A huge block of data somewhere in the middle of the file was completely different than what it should be.
The rest of the night was spent trying to find information and doing various extract attempts. The weirdest thing is that sometimes it would give the error and sometimes it would work okay. Sometimes WinDiff would say they were identical files, sometimes it would say they were different.
I don't get it. If it were a bad burn, you'd think the file would be corrupt all the time rather than sometimes being perfect and sometimes being bad. If it were a problem with the reader, you'd think I'd be having problems all over the disc instead of just this one same file.
I just got home from work and attempted an extraction, only to get the error. I don't know what to do at this point, if I had a bad burn, if my drive is dying so early in it's life, or what...