Is there a quality difference between dvdshrink and dvdfab?

is one better than the other? for example if i shrink a movie down to 90% in dvdshrink, and shrink the same movie to 90% in dvdfab, will the picture quality be the same?? or is one better than the other?

If you’re ripping the same movie (file size) and you are not modifying the compression in any way, then no, the quality would be virtually the same. Keep in mind that with shrink, you have more configurability re: compression. Also keep in mind that shrink’s decrypter is outdated. Now just so things don’t get confusing, dvdfab decrypter (freeware) will not compress at all…it will only rip and maintain the original file size. You would have to use another app, like shrink, in order to compress. On the other hand, Fab Express will compress to a SL disc, either in “complete disc” mode or in “movie only” mode. It is also capable of burning to a DL, with no compression.

ok thanks for clearing that up my MAINE man.

do you know if fab express would let me select which audio track to keep? also what about cutting off the end credits…dvd shrink allows me to do this but what about fab express?

Does dvd fab compress??? Seriouslly…I’m assuming you are not joking. If they have a compression program, why not give it a try? Maybe I’m missing a lot (that wouldnt be news), but shrink was the standard for compression from dvd9 to dvd5. Its no shock that the next best program (in the past for you sheeps), was nero (because they hired the writer of shrink to write recode, and as far as I know, he still works for them). This of course predates dvd fab. Here is some more news, the best ripper on the planet was shut down by macrovision, but replaced by img burn at least… Dvd fab jumped in the game and claimed they would take the place of dvd decryptor (suddenly they had free software and dvd fab became dvd fab decryptor, no doubt they used the name). Well they kept good on thier deal, and continue to offer a free program, that is often updated, and gets past the newest copy guard out there.
so does dvd fabs’s compression beat shrink (which hasent been updated in a couple of years), or recode, or maybee the leeding software (should I mention sheep here), For absolute pic quality, I would put my bets on nero. Should fab even be in the running? I have no idea but its nice to see that they are expanding and have some paying customers for thier expantion, and franklly, why not try thier software. They are offering a free program that is updated often, and have kept offering it for free. I might pay a few dollars for some of thier software, if they had any that intreseted me, just cause they did us a free service, dvd fab decryptor (or whatever it’'s called now…)…

Express has very limited configurabilty, but you can select audio and subtitle files…that’s pretty much it, no where close to shrink’s capabilities. A few of us have been lamenting this for about a year now, fengtao has promised a major upgrade soon, but ? as to when and how extensive this will really be? Here’s the basics of fab’s platinum (comprised of express and gold);

Express will always compress, unless the file size is smaller than a SL disc or you have enabled DL burning (make sure DL burning remains unchecked if you want to compress).

Gold will never compress and will always split to two SL discs unless the file size is smaller than a SL disc or you have enabled DL burning.

Express does an outstanding job when copying “main movie only” to a SL disc. I think this is fab’s real strength. It really is just 1 click…like ron popeil, “…set it and forget it…”. The quality is great, even with pretty extensive compression, although this depends on a number of things like file size, compression on original, etc.

Personally, I prefer a number of tools in my toolkit…like most…I guess. For example, for DLs…Any DVD in combo with dvd decrypter (and/or IMG for the burn) is still the best, although a rip with express and burn with recode2 has real potential. (I haven’t had much luck burning DLs with express…the LB is a problem). When I get to tinkering, AnyDVD is a great tool, I use it a a lot with recode2. Anyway, that’s my two cents, and what works for me.

I guess my best advice is to download a couple of free trials and see what you like and what works best for your particular needs. I know slysoft offers 21 day trials and fab 30 day trials.

Yo-

I have had AnyDVD for over 1 1/2 years and have found that using it with DVDfab Express is giving me outstanding results in my copies (I watch the movies with a Panasonic S77 upconverter to a Hitachi UltraVision HDTV)-

Mike