Is there a log of copied files on a PC?

Don’t know where to put this… Basically, I want to know if someone has copied some personal files from my PC using a memory stick. Is there is a log or list on a PC that can reveal if files were copied to a USB drive from the hard drive and which files?
Thanks in advance for any help.

[QUOTE=PJ recorder;2446859]Don’t know where to put this… Basically, I want to know if someone has copied some personal files from my PC using a memory stick. Is there is a log or list on a PC that can reveal if files were copied to a USB drive from the hard drive and which files?
Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

Hi PJ

There is no log or list kept by the operating system at least to my knowledge anyway, however if you are worried about it just don’t give permission for someone to access your system.

Windows XP Pro and Vista Business can be configured to keep an audit log of files and folders accessed as well as by which users. Unfortunately, if you suspect someone has already copied something from your PC, it’s already too late and StormJumper mentioned, since Windows does not keep records of file/folder access by default.

If you need to let other people use your PC, the best way to prevent users accessing your files is to set up a second user account, password protect your own account and encrypt your files. To do this, go into the control panel, into User Accounts and follow the steps to adding a new account and changing your password.

Once you have a password on your account, right-click on the file or folder you want to protect, click ‘Properties’ and then click the ‘Advanced…’ button. Tick the “Encrypt contents to secure data” option, then ‘OK’ and ‘OK’. If you’re encrypting a folder, select the option “Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files”. Now, only your user account can access these files. Be careful if you do this, since if you forget your password, you will no longer be able to access these encrypted files.

Thank you StormJumper and Sean. So XP Pro can be configured. I did not have this on. Out of curiosity, does this audit log only show what folders/files were accessed, or does it actually show if something was copied?