Is there a DVD dual layer burner that's also 2 sheep CD?

Hello All

Since this is my first post here, I thought the ‘newbie’ section was the right one. I did look in the recording hardware forum but could not find the answer.

I am currently battling to back up Age of Mythology Gold edition which I bought this Christmas and have managed to do one of the things I wanted, namely playing the game without the original cd in the drive, thanks to this forum and Alcohol 120.

My goal would be to back the two cds up reliably - I’ll read on and report on thisa in due course.

This forum has also shown me that my Plextor writer is deficient - probably a 0 sheep (where does the ‘sheep’ thing come from?). I could not do what I wanted with CloneCD and I put this down to the Plextor writer. I would therefore like to get a new writer and my question is: is there a good dual-layer DVD writer which is ALSO a 2 sheep CD writer?

Thanks for reading, peace.

mH

where does the ‘sheep’ thing come from?
Our good friends at what was known as elaborate bytes, creators of clone CD. ‘Sheep’ was a slang term, (elby love their sheep, I think in reference to dolly the first genetic clone who happened to be a sheep) I dont know the exact EFM characteristics 1 and two sheep refer to, but working backups rely on correct EFM encoding to be written to the disc. 0 sheep means it cannot at all encode EFM. 1 Sheep means it can almost correctly encode EFM so a backup may work via emulation. 2 Sheep means it can correctly encode EFM and theoretically can backup safedisc protected games no problemo. (not always the case though) I’m pretty sur there are 2 sheep dual layers out there, only time and research will tell.

The Plextor 716 is 2 sheep. Go read the CDFreaks reviews. They will add a note in the conclusions when it is a 2 sheep burner.

Thank-you, I’ll check out the 716.

mH

The Plextor PX-716A can back-up SafeDisc up to version 2.8x (wihout needing software help like AWS), versions above that (2.9 and 3.0) are harder to copy and you really need additional software help to make a working back-up.

My Lite-on 832S can do the latest versions of safedisc.

“My Lite-on 832S can do the latest versions of safedisc.”

What, even 2.9 / 3.0? I thought that was considered to be not possible

mH

What, even 2.9 / 3.0? I thought that was considered to be not possible
Can be a case of the twilight zone. One drive that works for X,(say a Liteon 832S) may not work for Z. I’ll bet Philambers copy wont run on every drive without some form of emulation.(usually the case) I have a Dinosaur Sony DRU510A (last of the sonys made by sony) and have successfully backed up S/D 3.10,(Call of Duty) 3.15,(Postal 2) 3.20.(Doom 3) My drive is 1 Sheep. These copys work in my DVD-ROM no emulation. I’ve tested a few other DVD/CD-ROMS and provided they’re older units copies work. Others with the DRU510A have had no such luck. I’m rambling so to answer your question: it is very possible.

Yes (and you thought wrong). :slight_smile: My Asus CRW-5224A (cdrw not dvdrw) also does so. :smiley:

However, I should point out that not all drives will play a safedisc v.3.15+ back-up copy (and, in fact, there are some that have difficulty playing an original :frowning: ).

Currently, I run my back-up copies on my Ltd-167T dvd-rom which is a drive known to be very tolerant of back-up copies and whether my copies would run on a picky drive such as a Toshiba dvd-rom, I don’t know (and don’t really care since, on my recommendation, practically everyone I know and care about has a Litey dvd-rom on their system).

your 832 works with them? Excellent i have an 832s, well 812@832 but close enough, i’m going make myself some backups!!! Hehehe, you’ve got me giggling like a little school girl!!!

Re: Is there a DVD dual layer burner that’s also 2 sheep CD?
And here you have another: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/172/9

Nood question here: is there a way to tell, besides giving it a try, via tools like NERO CD-DVD Speed or similar if a drive is “two sheep”?

Download a simple EFM test here:http://support.alcohol-soft.com/en/knowledgebase.php?postid=2196&title=Efm+Is+Your+Drive+Capable

Thanks a lot, two of my burners were already in the online list (only the Samsung is two sheep), while the third and newest didn’t pass the test :frowning: .

My liteon (flashed firmware) writes and reads all the way to safedisc 4.00, and also burns non emulated securom 5+7 copies with the help of Twincreator. The sheep test proved it as a 2 sheep burner.

All in all, a very happy customer since I just requested a dual layer burner in my new pc, and @£45 ($80-$85), bit of a bargain!