hello,
i just wanted to ask is there a BenQ 1655 External

Just get an “External Enclosure” …Now - There is a BenQ 1655 External :wink:
( and you might even save some money over a ‘exclusive’ external ) :iagree:

:smiley:

Hi,
i was thanking of gething one of these dont know which
one would be better to get
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/combo-benq-dw1655-and-galaxy-5-25-enclosure.html
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/combo-benq-dw1655-and-galaxy-usb2-5-25-enclosure.html
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/usb2-external-benq-dw1655-16x-burner.html
would a BenQ External 1655 work as good as the BenQ internal
one? :confused: what do you mean by "External Enclosure"
do you know what they mean when they said it comes with
Firewire Port whats this for

The BenQ 1655/1650 uses UDMA Mode 2, which has the effect that you cannot reach 16x writing speed when using it externally - regardless of whether USB or Firewire is used. Your burn speed will probably be capped at 13-14x even in the best enclosures.

For reading speed you may be able to reach 16x with some enclosures over a FireWire connection, but over a USB connection you will be limited to 14-15x.

An external enclosure is a box with a USB to IDE bridge or USB/FireWire to IDE bridge, and you can mount an internal drive in the enclosure, hook it up with power which is usually provided as an external power supply, and then connect it to your pc over any of the supported interfaces - USB or FireWire.

There is an external version of the BenQ DW1640 called the EW164B, and this drive uses UDMA Mode 4 and can reach 16x speed. The 1640 has a small problem with DVD+R burn quality at 16x however, so in my opinion it isn’t a better choice than a 1650/1655 in an external enclosure - but it is easier because you don’t have to assemble anything.

(DrageMester)
so it better then to just get a internal one then am thinking of
gething one of these then
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=317132
or this one

do you think any of these would be a good one that i can count on

If you want an internal drive the BenQ DW1655 that you link to is an excellent drive for most purposes. You can turn it into an external drive by getting an external enclosure that supports optical drives. People get good results with enclosures based on the Prolific PL-3507 chípset.

Some of the links you provided previously seem to be BenQ DW1655 bundled with an enclosure, so you might consider getting one of those.

Whether you think the speed cap in an external enclosure is a significant drawback or not is up to you - I burn most of my DVDs at 12x anyway in my BenQ 1655.

(DrageMester)
sorry i ask but what do you mean by based on the Prolific PL-3507 chípset
whats that Prolific PL-3507 chípset is that the “External Enclosure” case
that you are talking about that have a chípset and these External BenQ
can they be also updated the firmware if i need to

All enclosures have a chipset that implements the USB and/or FireWire to IDE bridge.

The Prolific PL-3507 is one of the best if not the best chipset when you want to have an optical drive in the enclosure, but there are other chipsets from other manufacturers also.

Two of my enclosures are PL-3507 based and they work very well. I also have two other enclosures that are based on older Prolific chipsets which have some limitations (only USB and you cannot flash firmware to a drive).

If you have the right enclosure and sometimes you also need the right firmware for the enclosure, then it’s possible to flash firmware to an optical drive inside the enclosure.

This usually only works when the enclosure is connected by USB but not when connected by FireWire. You also need a firmware flasher than can flash to an external drive, but this shouldn’t be a problem with the BenQ DW1655.

Which enclosures have this chipset?

Hi Memphist0, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

The enclosures I have are Data-Tec N550C, but I can’t find them anymore here in Denmark.

If you tell people which country you are located in, perhaps someone can tell you where to look for Prolific PL-3507 based enclosures. These enclosures are often sold under different brands, so I’m not at all sure about what brand to look for outside DK.

Hi Dragon!
I am planning to buy an external dvd writer, it is a long time, too much, that I am looking for prices here, you can´t even imagin how difficult is in Argentina, visit the global BenQ or LG site and then the argentine site, and will see only the oldest models discontinued in first world.
But buying in internet, what to do if something do not work???
So, here I can get a sony drx820u, which seems to be a BenQ 1670 oem. But I am looking for firewire connection, as i have old laptop with pentiumIII 750mhz and usb is cpu demanding and i willconnect also an external HD, which means usb speed divided betweeen the two devices, no good.
So, 820u is only usb, i am waiting an answer form vendor if he gets 820ul/t.
Anyway, they are very expensive here, 200 US $!!! (the 820u, the other would be more)…
So I was thinking about an enclosure. Here I can find only the manhattan ones, with many contraddiction because vendor tells me he can only get manhattan enclosures but at same time tells me he can get a combo enclosure, usb and firewire, which manhattna does not produce! Argentina is terrible for buying things, incredible!
No idea if it is a Prolific PL-3507 chipset.
Do you know which BenQ or LG or NEC drives can have udma 4 for full compatibility in enclosures? :confused:

I don’t know about the BenQ DW1670, but the BenQ 1620 and 1640 can achieve UDMA 4 if you flash with external firmware.

I don’t have an LG drive and I don’t remember if they run UDMA 2 or 4.

The NEC drives are all limited to UDMA 2 AFAIK, but I don’t know about the new Sony NEC Optiarc drives - you probably can’t get those yet in Argentina anyway.

Using UDMA 2 you will not be able to achieve 16x write over FireWire according to my own experiments and also from what I have seen others report. You might be able to get 16x read however. But you should be able to get to about 14-15x unless you have other bottlenecks in our setup.

If you want to have both an external harddrive and an external DVD burner, and you want to burn from the harddrive to your DVD burner, then I suggest you put the harddrive on FireWire and the DVD burner on USB.

Why so and not the opposite or both on firewire or Usb2? :doh:

Both drives on the same USB 2.0 channel or same FireWire 400 channel wouldn’t be able to give you 16x writing speed and probably not even 12x.

My own experiments show that it’s more important for the harddrive to be on FireWire than it is for the DVD burner, so that’s why I suggested to put the harddrive on FireWire and he DBD burner on USB.

You can always test this yourself when you get your hardware, and then you’ll find out if the same holds true for your setup.

:slight_smile: No, I trust You, especially because You are not the first in telling me this. But as I did not understood well the reason, I asked it to You.
I must tell You that I have a notebook with no usb2 or firewire ports, so I am buying a pc-card adapter with 2 usb2 ports and 2 firewire 400 ports. In this case it is the same or it changes something?
I found a site, www.coolerexpress.com , where there are good dvd writers inside Bytecc enclosures. DO you know Bytecc enclosures?
I think to have view in this site a review of enclosures, but I can´t find it anymore, and, as I cn´t anymore waint and trust in vendor here, i want to buy something on internet. i do not find any already external dvd writer with usb2 and firewire connection, if not sony, but they are BenQ Oem at double of cost. So, I would like to find another one, or a good, sure and safe enclosure and drive in a not expensive on line shop (or a cheap shop, but when I say cheap I do not talk of sacrifice quality, sure, safe, trust, and support, return policy, warranty etc…). Could You please help me in this? :bow:
Sorry if they are many questions, but it is more than two month I am getting infos and more than one month wainting for the vendor here. I am really disappointed and tired, i want to close the theme, I am spending too much time and mental energies, I need to do other things, ufff! :a
Well, bye :slight_smile:

I doubt you will be able to get more than 8x burning speed from a harddrive connected to your PC-Card adapter to a DVD burner also connected to your adapter. I might be wrong though.

I found a site, www.coolerexpress.com , where there are good dvd writers inside Bytecc enclosures. DO you know Bytecc enclosures?
No, I’m not familiar with Bytecc enclosures.

So, I would like to find another one, or a good, sure and safe enclosure and drive in a not expensive on line shop (or a cheap shop, but when I say cheap I do not talk of sacrifice quality, sure, safe, trust, and support, return policy, warranty etc…). Could You please help me in this?
I don’t know anything about shops in your part of the world, so I can’t help you there.

If you should find a Plextor PX-740UF drive somewhere, then you can get a re-badged BenQ 1640 drive with both USB and FireWire connection. You can even cross-flash that drive from a Plextor to a BenQ if you want (but that will void your warranty).

There is also the BenQ EW-164B which is the external version of the BenQ DW1640.

Good luck with your quest to find a good external drive.

Well, I actually meant if You knew shops OnLine where to get what I need (an external dvd writer with both connection or a similar good enclosure). I forgot to write that in that site I can´t buy, as they do not ship international. Pity, look their prices!!!

If you should find a Plextor PX-740UF drive somewhere, then you can get a re-badged BenQ 1640 drive with both USB and FireWire connection. You can even cross-flash that drive from a Plextor to a BenQ if you want
What do you mean for rebudget? it sounds to me as “cheaper”, but it can´t be, as I knew that Plextor usually are much more expensive… Why should I flash it with BenQ firmware, to improve what?
If I buy an internal drive on line to use it with a enclosure, well, I already told You if you can suggest me some enclosure with the right chip, but, anyway, it should be better some particular drive You know, as BenQ, LG, NEC, Samsung, just to know your opinion… I read other ones, but one more is always interesting, as every time I found out something new.

Good luck with your quest to find a good external drive.

No, you are right. NEC based PCMCIA USB 2.0 card reaches a transfer rate of about 15 MB/s on my notebook (PIV-M 1800m, i845). Ali based cards max out at 12MB/s.

Michael

A Plextor PX-740 is the same hardware as the BenQ DW1640 but with a Plextor faceplate, a Plextor label and Plextor firmware. This is known as “rebadging” a drive.

The PX-740[B]UF[/B] is already an external drive, so you wouldn’t have to get an enclosure for it.

BenQ firmware is more flexible for this drive, and it allows Disc Quality scanning with CDSpeed, which isn’t possible with Plextor firmware for this drive.

I suggested this drive, because you indicated that you only have access to slightly older drives where you are, and this is a slighly older drive but still very good.

Hi,

LG GSA-4166 is an UDMA-4 drive, LG GSA-4167 (UDMA-2 drive) can be crossflashed to Hitachi firmware to achieve UDMA-4. Recent Pioneer or Liteon (6S series) are also UDMA-4 drives. I am running a Liteon SHM-165P6S (crossflashed Sony DW-G120A) in an USB case with Cypress AT2 chipset.

Michael