Is the PS3 the best Blu-ray option?

vbimport

I just posted the article Is the PS3 the best Blu-ray option?.

Why do you buy a Playstation 3? The console is one of those next-gen consoles that every kid in town wants in their room. Besides the gaming quality it offers, many say it’s the only Blu-ray player…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14434-Is-the-PS3-the-best-Blu-ray-option.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14434-Is-the-PS3-the-best-Blu-ray-option.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wait till next fall? And this is the format that won? Typical non-sense from Sony… What were the studios thinking! :r

There is more to come. When the DVB-T add on arrives you can swap the internal hard drive for a much larger one and get a BluRay player, dual tuner digital TV recorder and optional mobile Playstation portable device to synch recorded TV andcompliant Bluray discs to for a complete solution.

I bought one for my daughters xmas. Its used for playing games, playing BD movies, DVD’s and CD’s. She stores pictures from her camera and phone on the PS3 too. It has Linux installed as the Alternate OS and is also used for her school homework and browsing the net. This PC serves media files over a wireless network, which she is also able to access on the PS3. No regrets in buying it. :slight_smile:
This message was edited at: 27-03-2008 01:33

Holy crap, it drops frames with motion ?!?! :r and LOL at the same time ! Thanks for that tidbit, it sealed the fact I will never buy a PS3 for a blu ray player. Besides I have learned from my XBOX 360 that its a very bad idea to have your game console also be your movie player, for several reasons.

I think Sony will try to fix the frame dropping with future firmware revisions, ivid.

Far from the best. It can’t be used with the Logitech Harmony remotes. For something that is a Blu-Ray player, it should have came with a proper IR receiver. Until this is fixed, I am avoiding the PS3.

“I think Sony will try to fix the frame dropping with future firmware revisions, ivid.” You mean software??

@ jnv11 We can hear the very same everytime when $ony do not do their homework properly… :r So be it, they will “fix” THAT problem and guess what, other problems will pop up again and again… :wink:

Is the PS3 the best Blu-ray option? It’s made by Sony. :r Question answered. Folks- we have to stop supporting this company, they are notorious for being anti-consumer. Along the same lines, did you notice to what happened to DRM in the music business when everyone avoided buying music? Hold out for one year buying any Blu-ray products and watch the DRM start to disappear as well. Without our cash, these companies and studios will die. They know it - we don’t. So we keep buying crippled products that cost us more money due to increased manufacturing costs to add the complexity of several layers of DRM and associated decrypting processing etc. We are being enticed to abandon DVD, for a product that is marginally superior to what we have and being set up for the new tougher DRM. Boycott these new products!! Why should we spend thousands of dollars on displays and players, then be told what we can and cannot do with them? :d

I believe that quote from HCC (Home Cinema Choice) was BEFORE the update to allow 24p playback and is well out of date (yes I do have a copy of the latest edition with that quote). I’ve actually read in various magazines that it’s playback quality is BETTER than their standalone units! For example What Hi-Fi gave it 5 stars (their top mark) Also in the back of the same edition of HCC it is their editor’s choice for HD Player with the same mark as their standalone units (4 out of 5)!

Crabbyappleton wrote "It’s made by Sony. Folks- we have to stop supporting this company, they are notorious for being anti-consumer. " Why don’t you just grow up? ******

Posted by micro$soft (guest) on Thursday 27 March 2008 20:57 Crabbyappleton wrote "It’s made by Sony. Folks- we have to stop supporting this company, they are notorious for being anti-consumer. " Why don’t you just grow up? ****** Please explain…although due to the replacement of a dollar sign in your name Micro$oft, it’s clear you are a Sony fanboy. :B At least my comments are factual. You are just biased Google it- "Sony anti-consumer"
This message was edited at: 27-03-2008 23:26

Read this many times that people who use PS2 as DVD player caused it die much faster. So maybe it gonna happen again on PS3 when using as BD player. :wink:

@Sweety Todd that’s no problem mate… $ony will repair your out of warranty PS3 for a fortune or they will suggest you to buy a NEW one… Oops, will that be a spike in sales or what then ??? Actually, in other topic they say that it’s time for growing sales of BD movies, yeah it’s time as that is the ONLY HD format now and monopoly always causes these ‘spikes in sales’ … though that is still such a surprise for some of the $ony fanboys… An what it causes to the costumers is a wellknown thing aswell… you know, growing prices and more $ that you have to spend on these idiot movies… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

jnv11, a software fix may be able to fix it or maybe not. PS3 may not have the horsepower or components to correct that kind of problem if its related to a high powered codec like AVC HD for example, or maybe it is just that the codecs need to be optimized. Its the kind of thing most viewers will not notice but enthusiats will. However if the claim “whatever” makes is true then my concerns are unfounded and CD Freaks is reporting old news.

If you think about it where else can you get a great console that doubles as a Blu-ray player! I love the games on mine also I viewed a lot of my MP4 (Nero Digital) videos on the player that looked and played fantastic. Personally I think it’s a no brainer… Who wants to dish out all that money for a Blu-ray just to get a player? On top of that the Playstation is upgradable and is still getting new features! What’s to think about? :g