Is the 'protection' on 'Rental' releases different from the 'Full' versions?

vbimport

Upfront let me say I am not advocating the copying of rented movies. However there seems to be a RedBox on every corner around here and they sell used DVDs for $5 (or there about). I would assume these are mostly the Rental Version and was wondering if anyone has any experience backing these up. Since the more sophisticated protections are licensed and the cost is likely on a per disc basis I’d assume the studios wouldn’t want to pay as much for the stripped down and smaller run of the ‘Rental’ release. Any thoughts or experiences?

Here in the UK I have bought several ex rental films and have had no problems using ripit4me even on some 2006 releases.
The backups are a joy to watch without the usual “you are a criminal” trailer or unnecessary advertisements.
Alas 2 of the shops I used to get these films from have since closed, but as very few recent releases have caught my attention it has been no great loss.

Certainly an interesting question.
Rentals used to be the full commercial movie . I think they still should be.

I don’t know how the"Rental" versions copy as I haven’t tried.

Before the Hollywood Video store shut down in my neck of the woods they were selling used DVDs…I had no probs with them, other than the usual slightly scratched/smudges…

Recently they have had blu ray and dvds marked as Rental in my local Hastings bookstore/video rental shop. These do differ in that they don’t have extras, director’s commentary and such, but I don’t believe the protection varies from the full retail versions.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568051]Recently they have had blu ray and dvds marked as Rental in my local Hastings bookstore/video rental shop. These do differ in that they don’t have extras, director’s commentary and such, but I don’t believe the protection varies from the full retail versions.[/QUOTE]

I wondered why those for sale at local rental shops were so cheap . . . makes more sense now.