Is the Lite-on LTD-163D a true 16X drive?

I’ve had a Lite-on LTD-163D for several months now and the performance has been nothing short of what I expected. I’m not a demanding person so other than normal CD-ROM duties it doesn’t see much DVD use as I prefer to use my A/V system for that purpose.
I noticed a few posts where the drive seem to be having problems attaining rated speed and ran some tests myself using Nero CD Speed and nero DVD Speed. The tests were done with rented Region 1 media and also with the original GHR3 firmware as well as the GHR5 firmware. The drive barely got past 8X and had an average speed of slightly over 6X in the tests. The SiSoftware Sandra System Summary module defines the drive as LITEON DVD-ROM LTD 163D (CD 48x Rd)(DVD 6x Rd).

Posts at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51670&highlight=GHR3 and also at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51240&highlight=GHR3 seem to raise the same concerns. It appears inconclusive as whether an explanation was ever offered. Is this performance normal for this drive? Does the media used (Dual Layers) dictate warranty that performance?
I thought I would throw this out in the forum for some thoughts and inputs. I would obviously also be interested in comments from LTD-163D owners.
All comments and input are welcomed.

Dual Layer discs are usually limited to 12x (Pioneer), 10x (Toshiba) or 8x (i think LG, but not sure). There’s nothing wrong about that.

Thanks for the input alexnoe.
So it appears that drive is performing to standards. Any input regarding the SiSoft Sandra module? Should I lend much credence there?

Reasons why Dual Layer DVD discs are read at a lower speed:

1. Dual Layer discs have a higher scanning velocity.
    Basically it means that the rotation speed has to increase to get the same speed as with Single Layer discs.
    For obvious reasons this is not done.

2. Dual Layer discs are more difficult to read

3. CSS stuff - copyright reasons. Since DVD movies are played at max. 1x there is no reason to read them at high speeds.

4. Noise. It’s no fun to watch a movie with the sound of a jet engine in the background.

My LiteOn LTD163 (firmware GH5Q) reads Dual Layer, unprotected discs at 3.5 - 8.5x CAV

Thanks for the assurance. I just wanted to make sure the drive performance was not sub par. Great information.

Indeed if you manage to get a non protected single layer dvd you should get the 16x :

Well, this run got to 15.99 :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Mango
[B]Indeed if you manage to get a non protected single layer dvd you should get the 16x :

Well, this run got to 15.99 :bigsmile: [/B]

That’s what I was hoping for. You are running a LTR-163 though.

Other than recording your own where do you get a single layer DVD? Everything in my collection or rented is Dual Layer.

Hmmm my LTD-163 that i just revived with MTKFLASH does this in Drive speed:

Is it supposed to be that?

What’s that to do with anything?
You use DriveSpeed only if you want to enforce a low reading speed.

To check performance use CDSpeed. The latest version combines CDSPeed and DVDSpeed into one program.

Originally posted by Mango
What’s that to do with anything?
You use DriveSpeed only if you want to enforce a low reading speed.

I also ran DriveSpeed with a DVD disc inserted and it seems that the LiteOn can show the maximum DVD read speed.
With a dual layer disc I also get 8x, with a single layer disc 16x