Is the Jitter in this scan too high?

I get lower PIE/PIF totals with both SB and WOPC off. Jitter is usually between .5% to 1% higher on average. I’ll include a typical scan. Please let me know if the Jitter is no good here. I’ll go back to using WOPC, but it’ll mean more PIF errors though.

An average jitter of below 9% is very good. :slight_smile:
Overall, I would say average jitter of around 9% with max less than 12% can be considered good.

Jitter in that scan is good!

maxxj,
This kind of stuff freaks me out sometimes, too. We’re conditioned to look at the graph and if it is near the top it is HUGE. CD/DVDSpeed rescales to display everything so I sometimes have to stop and double check the actual figures.
PIE Max = 8 ?
PIE Total = 12119 ?
PIF Maximum = 3 ?
PIF Total = 57 ?
Jitter Max = 9.9 and average less than 9?

I think all the CD Freaks would agree that this is a Hall of Fame burn, as long as you tell us you burned it @12X. (oops, sorry, you need another 300Mb or so on the data as well, the praise remains, though).
Here’s the “Hall of Fame” specs:
* Minimum CD Speed quality score is 99%
* Maximum PIE Value is 20
* Minimum size of DVD burnt is 4300 MB
* Minimum burn SPEED is 12x

It’s no Hall of Famer. Burned at 8X. Dvd wasn’t large enough either. Glad to hear the jitter is acceptable. Thanks for quick replies.

No, that’s an awesome burn. It would be worthy of a post in the Hall of Fame thread is you wanted. :smiley:

[B]edit[/B] - guess not actually, it’s a bit too small for the HOF. But still, excellent burn!!

I wish I could get my PIE under 10 and PIF under 100 and Jitter about 8. That is one awesome burn.

Not sure why, CD-speed 4.51.1 always shows a max jitter of 9%+ as not acceptable quality. scratching head.

What do you mean by that? :confused: :confused:

Because it shows as a redish-brown instead of green.

Huh? :confused:

[B]scoobiedoobie[/B], I think he is referring to the scan summary information box at the end of a scan.

I’ll add to the confusion by adding that jitter reporting of my Benq units, with the same discs, have had variations of +/- 1.5% depending on firmwares, models (1640 / 1650), and units (two 1640s with same f/w didn’t report the same jittter levels). No, I’m not referring to burns with different units/firmwares, but to scans of the same discs.

:rolleyes:

My 2 cents: unless one can see an obvious increase in PIE in the same place as the jitter increase, and jitter levels stay under, say, 13%, one shouldn’t worry.

Just like PIE/PIF reporting with some drives (like the NECs), this jitter reporting feature of the BEnqs is far more useful to compare burns than to check the “absolute” quality. If it was possible to judge the quality from jitter by scanning in Benqs, the manufacturers wouldn’t have to use the extremely expensive CATS equipment… :wink:

Well CD-speed did show some different color on that figure, thats why.

From what I saw here, most people are burning fast (16X, 12x) and test slow (8x); isnt it contrast to what an average user looks for, burning not so fast and reading fast on use.

My 1655 and a 1620 that I have occasional access to show as much as 1.4% difference in jitter on the same disc (the 1655 shows higher jitter), and from scans posted by others I have suspected that different BenQ drives even of the same model don’t always show the same (average) jitter level.

Thanks for confirming that with your own experiences!

You mean in the statistics report, right? Because if you’re referring to the graph itself, the different color is for PIF limits and has no connection whatsoever with jiter levels.

From what I saw here, most people are burning fast (16X, 12x) and test slow (8x); isnt it contrast to what an average user looks for, burning not so fast and reading fast on use.

1. Burning @12X or 16X with 16X rated media is not too fast, it’s totally normal. If you refer to 8X rated media, of course it’s different.

2. Scanning at higher speeds (12X, or even 16X) may be interesting in some instances, but makes comparisons between scans far too difficult: small differences in the reading process can the lead to huge discrepancies between several passes, so you can’t compare scans anymore, and comparing different scans (with the same drive of course) is the only real legit use of scanning. When you get wildly variable results, the’re no use for scanning (which is why several NEC models are totally useless for scanning BTW).

If you want to see if the disc can be read @16X without problems, then perform a transfer rate test set to “accuracy”. You should have no slowdown with good burns/discs.

Yeah, that must be what he was talking about. I did consider that after he said it, but I scanned a disc with higher than 9% max jitter and it did not show in red. I scanned another disc now with over 12% max jitter and it was listed in red. Whatever color it shows, it’s basically irrelevant. Random, one time spikes in the jitter are not that uncommon, such as from multitasking and from the speed slowdowns while testing with certain firmware versions. For example, if I get a good overall jitter level and an average of, say, 8% with one random spike of 12%, it’s of zero concern in all likelyhood. Look at the overall jitter being reported in the scan and make a judgement for yourself, don’t rely on the color that the max jitter is shown in.

This has been commonly observed, for example in the 1640, jitter levels being reported increased when changing from BSLB to BSMB. I have a Benq 822 that reports jitter levels about 1-1.5% higher than my 1640, always has and always will. The overall trend in the jitter remains very similar between firmwares and drives though. I’ve never considered the actual percentages listed to be perfectly accurate for these obvious reasons, although I believe they are reasonably close and that their overall trend throughout the disc are accurate. Again, every drive tests a bit differently, there will always be some variation so all of these tests we run are only approximate results.

Just to follow up, I just scanned a disc with 11.5% max jitter and it was listed in green, so it’s not until 12%+ jitter that it shows in red, not 9%+ (big difference).

As far as I remember, 12.0% is green but 12.1% is brown (dark red?). It hardly matters anyway, because BenQ jitter scans are not precise to within 0.1% jitter anyway - especially if you have the annoying scanning dips.