Is the Intel Application Accelerator really worth it?

I was just wondering what people’s opinions were on this software/driver. It’s supposed to be a better IDE Channel host controller than the one supplied by microsoft. It’s not necessary to install it on all chipsets and all operating systems, mine being one of them with XP Home and the 850E chipset. I installed it anyway, and I did notice a marked improvement in bootup time. I noticed no real difference in my DVD-Rom or CD-RW, but I did notice that where before when DMA was on for the writer and off for the Reader, it was now the other way 'round. It’s not a big deal, I only have a 16/10/40 burner and I don’t think the DMA/PIO thing makes a big difference. I haven’t noticed any problems burning on the fly either, a problem associated with DMA/PIO on the same channel. I guess it’s not a problem if i don’t notice a performance difference, but i really would like to keep my faster bootup time (almost twice as fast!). Comments, suggestions, flame, or help would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

John

I don’t have any flames handy, so I’ll give an opinion instead. :bigsmile:

Although I’m currently using AMD CPU’s, I would definitely use the IAA if I were running an Intel processor. It would seem to be a no-brainer that it adds well documented performance and support enhancements. If for some reason, it doesn’t work for you, it can always be removeed.

The documentation at Intel Application Accelerator Top Technical Issues is very good in describing the performance enhancements such as faster bootup. You may want to take a look at the Troubleshooting compatibility issues with CD-RW devices and other issues to see if this helps to understand your problem.

Yeah, shite. I hate it when people make me look dumb like that.

“Try looking at the documentation linked approximately 2 centimeters from the download link for the file. Have a nice day…coughdumbasscough.”

Hehehe, sorry for being a tool. I try not to do that too often. However, this displays another interesting point. The configuration utility for the IAA indicates that ALL of my drives, HDD, DVD and RW are running in DMA, and Nero Infotool reports that all but RW are running in DMA, RW running in PIO. I don’t know who to trust, who to turn to…HELP!!!

Well, not really, but does anyone know which is correct and who to trust. I think the intel thing is right and there’s just some issue with nero. That would explain my lack of noticing a difference in DMA and PIO mode since my drives are still all in DMA mode. Hooray!!

Again, Comments, suggestions, flame, or help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 850E chipset and use the iaa and it does improve performance. you will notice that one you install the iaa that you can no longer go into device manager and enable or disable DMA settings as the advanced tab is no longer present on the HD or the CD drives properties list.

iaa disables this feature and I suspect that this is why nero and some other info tools give an inaccurate reading in this regards.

I use the IAA on my pc with a 810E mobo. I used to have a problem with the pc not detecting a CD drive, but now the problem is gone. And yea, I also noticed a big boost in boot time. So I would just say if it works without a problem, keep it.

So, if I read this right, it would not be an advantage to use IAA if my machine is total SCSI with the exception of the burner, true? Thanks

After installing IAA, any ASPI call instantly resulted in a BSOD :a . Fortunately, the deinstaller worked…

Installing the accelerator with my mobo (845E chipset)
resulted in the immediate and swift death of Win2k.
So you’d better have a rescue disk handy, just in case …

I’ve not had a problem with it, but I also use the 2.2.x version. I just don’t have any EIDE devices other than one CD-ROM-RW, and it’s an old Ricoh… Thanks…

The newest I believe is 2.2.2.2150.

Download the latest Intel Application Accelerator drivers here