Is the end near for our beloved DVD-Writer?

vbimport

Is the end near for our beloved humble DVD Writer?

Times are getting tough for the humble DVD writer. With Internet delivered movies and program content being streamed directly to your set top box. Movies on demand via satellite based delivery systems. The noise and the worry of our beloved TY and MCC media’s life span, the noise a DVD drive makes while playing a movie, the amount of manufacturers quitting the ODD business, the list is endless.

Recently i received a Media center PC for our lounge. It’s almost silent. It has a DVD drive of course, but only used for installing software. Movies are streamed from this pc which is in another room over the network, usually in Nero digital or DivX format. The amount of movies that can be stored on a large hard drive in this format is quite staggering. The quality is good and in the lounge there is no annoying noise of a DVD drive spinning.
So the question is. How much life is left our beloved DVD writers?

They have a few more years left, but they are dropping like flies. Plextor is the latest to announce that they will not make consumer burners anymore.

It is inevitable that we will eventually move on to different media. From punch cards to 8" floppies and their kin, and then to optical media, change is the rule, not the exception in computers. A similar path is seen in the media we use in entertainment—Betamax, 8 tracks, laserdiscs—all dead. VHS is dying and who uses cassettes these days?

I voted that we still have a few years left for dvds. Mostly because it is still the most prevalent form for selling/delivering movies and the infrastructure for alternative means is just now being built.

I AM using VHS because they are more reliable than some wank dvd recorder stopping in the middle of a recording or having to worry about discs going bad in 1 bloody year or having to worry about compression speed, etc… Sorry mate but I’m sticking to my trusty JVC VHS/SVHS recorder and good old TDK XP Pro tapes for quite some time to come, they will probably outlast my entire ******* collection of taiyo yudens I can bet on that.

^ Ok I’m happy for you?

I’m not sure why your vhs recorder is more reliable than a dvdrecorder, but I’ll take your word for it. This in no way changes the fact that VHS as a format is dying out.

I have an older friend who has a beautiful reel to reel recorder, probably 45 years old now. It was a state-of-the-art machine in its day, very expensive and still plays his old tapes rather well the last time I heard it. The fact that he can still use it to record in no way makes reel to reel a viable format. He can’t buy the latest Eminem album in reel to reel at the local Walmart (this thought brings giggles, but you’d have to know the guy). And next year, you won’t be able to buy the latest movies in VHS format, not a commercially made vhs tape anyway. The format is disappearing.

The same will happen to dvd eventually. The players, the drives we examine, scrutinize and squabble over will be irrelevant. But again, I believe we have a few more years left before it disappears. Heck, as we see, people are still using VHS! :slight_smile:

Maybe we’ll grow to love the replacements. Maybe we’ll rail against the inevitable changes we face in all facets of life, not just these minor concerns over formats. But time and the changes that come with it are irreversible, and defying that simple fact is as futile as sweeping the tides back with a broom.

agreed…also…i don’t think d’loaders who get movies online will wait a light year to get a hd dvd or blue ray at 18gb’s…:O…i think they’ll hang around a bit longer

It’s ok I DO have a DVD RECORDER, a very reliable and high quality one - I use it to transfer my old VHS tapes on DVD - But now everytime I log on and hear about the CRAP media being made and QC slipping, I’m wondering, which will last longer my bloody VHS or my DVDs, I think my VHS will outlast me and my bloody DVDs :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Still, for recording TV I use VHS and I am not ashamed. Maybe one day when DVD is obsolete, I will have transferred all my DVD to the new format, assuming those DVD have not degraded, by the looks of things, they probably will.

As far as the reel to reel, yes good old AKAI, works like a charm and those R&Rs would outlast my entire DVD collection, it is pretty embarassing - I reckon those times where they said that DVD means a lifetime of memories, they once advertised the advantage of DVD being solid and keeping your precious memories safe from wear and tear as does occur on VHS - Well those tossers were obviously wrong - I have customers asking me to transfer their precious movie films and wedding videos on DVD, and I am honestly worried of what will happen to their “memories” 5 years down the line, let alone 1 year.

Is DVD obsolete ? It IS already obsolete. I have customers calling me every day asking me to transfer their videos on holographic media. When I tell them that it’s not mainstream they cuss at me and call me a wanker - I’ve already turned down a dozen requesting their VHS collection of Benny Hill be put on BluRay - claiming that it will enhance the quality - I kept arguing with them that it won’t but they got pretty irate and told me off :smiley: So I guess DVD is obsolete… Now do you honestly think I will trust new technology after the CRAP and slipping quality control ? Imagine the same sized media with more densely packed data…you think I will trust a company ? What tells you that the new media won’t degrade ?

Thanks but no thanks… It’s no wonder film makers still use 35mm film.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offtopic:
Oh I love my AKAI reel to reel recorder. Its still going strong and when recording with the slowest rotation setting (I think its 1/3 of the normal speed) the recordings still sound very good. Recordings my father did more than 30 years ago are still in good condition. We will have to see if DVD-Rs or even CD-Rs will last over 30 years…

Like I said before, trust me on that one, your entire collection of reel to reels will outlast your DVD. Even more, all of my floppies have outlasted my CDs.

Now I did mention that I have a DVD recorder and transfering my stuff to DVD, eventhough I said I still use VHS - Well the only reason I am doing this is because if one day my VCR decides to fail, god forbid, and one day there are no more VCRs my VHS tapes will be good for nothing, so I kinda have no choice but to follow technology, not that I want to :smiley: Yes your AKAI recorder will also outlast even the best CD/DVD recorders today because in those days things were built solid - Now most of the stuff out on the market is CRAP, corner cutting cost cotting and defective, failing crap being sold on the market. If you did burn your collection on discs prior to 2000 I would feel confident about them lasting a long time, but I have seen a steady decline past 2001 and even today it’s much worse, I would not trust media to last 30 years, not the Verbatims not even TY in fact I think TY would actually not last all that long if I rely on what I’ve seen lately - What makes me angry and think there should be a class action suit against such companies who claim their media last 100-300 years when in reality, with the way media is manufactured nowadays you would be lucky if it lasted 5-10, and that is under excellent storing conditions.

Maybe the end of DVD/CD would be a good thing - if it means transferring my data and video from crappy media to new technology not based on a burning laser - People think that their data is safe on a CD or DVD because it’s DIGITAL…well there is no such ting as DIGITAL, natively everything is an electrical signal converted to digital…data on your CD/DVD is nothing more than burnt pits on a chemical dye - it is false to assume that data is stored as 1’s and 0’s - those lasers don’t read 1’s and 0’s they read those pits and have to go through a complex process of converting those patterns into actual digital data, after of course going through error correction! So someone please rid us of this evil called laser burning and introduce TRUE digital storage where data is stored natively in digital format and won’t rely on chemicals or pits.

I’m wondering what you would consider truly digital? As far as I’m concerned, anything in the physical world is analog and digital is only an abstraction that we choose to use when interpreting something analog and physical.

You may consider electron spin or the quantum state of an atom as being digital, but those are also just interpretations or abstractions of the physical world, and other abstractions would be waveforms, super strings or whatever.

So in my opinion, “digital” is only an abstraction and is not something that exists in the physical world - only in our interpretation of it.

As for DVD writers I think they will still be around in 10 years.

The optical disc technology may be replaced by flash chip or other technologies, but the offline data transfer will never die.

Not everybody will bother encrypting all the stuff to send the confidential data over the web. The offline external data storage and transfer also enables customers to use their fair use rights.

I second [B]Drage[/B], DVD writers will continue to live on for maybe ten years.

[B]Verbatim[/B] claims that their Super Azo CD-R last 100 years. TY claims 70 years for their CD-R, Maxell claims 100 years for their CD-R, 30 for CD-RW and 50 for DVDs. Only [B]MAM-A[/B] claims 300 years, but they’re more like outsiders anyway…
So you are only talking about two companies?

All manufacturers have defective discs now and then.

Very nice, but then if a power surge damages the hard drive? :stuck_out_tongue: - All my eggs in the same basket? Never! :disagree:

About the VHS… personally all the VHS tapes that I’ve bought and recorded during the last 5 years are degrading like mad. Manufacturing quality went downhill, including my formerly beloved Maxell and TDK. They’re also rather sensitive to magnetic fields.

Optical media may not be flawless, but one can quickly make as many backup copies as one likes, for a ridiculously low price, store them in different places… so reliability is an issue only for those who want to cut corners and burn only 1 copy of each backup or movie. Optical media is impervious to power surges, electrical or magnetic damage.

I think I’ll stick with optical media (DVD or whatever is next) for rather long. :bigsmile:

I sure hope DVD lasts I have so much invested in equipement and media.

Along the lines of CCRomeo’s reply, I would like to think it’ll be around for sometime yet.

I need to get my money’s worth out of my burners and media stash :bigsmile:

Edit: Plus, picking up media and burners is such fun :bigsmile:

I guess it will be just as fun to pick up Blue-Ray or HD-DVD burners and blanks, don’t worry. :bigsmile:
(but I’ll start when the prices will be decent ;))

True, but IMO it’s very dependent on price, as you say :wink: :bigsmile:

BYW Arachne,

you cat looks like mine.

[OT] CCRomeo, what a gorgeous kitty! :smiley: [/OT]

Back on topic, I love how Ssseth and Evilboy voted they were suicidal if the end was nigh for DVD burners :bigsmile:

[Off-topic]
Arachne already has a cat at home but would really love to have CATS at home. :bigsmile:

Uh uh… :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I wondered when this one would finally come out… it just needed the proper context, that’s what I call seizing an opportunity :clap: [B]DrageMester[/B]!