Is the CloneDVD name owned by Slysoft or just CloneDVD2?

Is the CloneDVD name owned by Slysoft or just CloneDVD2?

CloneDVD is a registered trademark owned by Elaborate Bytes AG.
“2” is simply the major version.

Why dont they just sue this company thats making ripped of versions of it then and calling it CloneDVD?

Try sueing some company in china.
In fact, there was some effort spent on trying to.
Plagiarism is a common thing in China…
Not a chance.

Elby is the owner/developer, Slysoft is just the vendor.

Microsoft can’t even make headway into the rippoff versions of Windows in China, so I don’t think EB has much of a shot.:confused:

because US trademark laws are just that…US trademark laws.

if you issued a formal lawsuit against the chinese company it’s only “legal” and formal in the united states and they can only be sued in the US.

in other words…they can just ignore you

Correct. There’s nothing anyone can do about some company in China selling some product named CloneDVD in China.
But it’s illegal to sell these fake CloneDVDs in countries where the name is protected.
That’s what this is about.
You wouln’t believe how many feet in the US are wearing “Nike” made in China :slight_smile:

I have created a " Sticky " at the top of the CloneDVD Forum to let members know where they can get the real CloneDVD ( Slysoft/Elby). Let me know what you think?

:clap:

Marvelous :slight_smile:

@alan1476
excellent idea of the sticky

one humble input
maybe in the title of the sticky you could add something like "vs non-SS clonecd and other knockoff products :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=zaq
one humble input
maybe in the title of the sticky you could add something like "vs non-SS clonecd and other knockoff products :)[/QUOTE]
:eek:
clonecd is a ss/elby product.

nice one alan :clap:

might stop many unsuspecting users being conned

I thankyou all for the input, but thanks also has to go to the rest of the staff also who told me that this was the best way to get this done.:clap:

Alan, do you know when the thread title will be getting changed? or is it just going to be the sticky that informs the posters?

It will not be changed, in the opinion of the Staff and Slysoft I have created a sticky to let people know about the different programs. That will be it. It would cause problems for Slysoft and Elby when new versions are released, the forum index would have to be changed everytime. This was not my decision alone, but I think the Sticky will good enough.

thanks for clearing that up, i thought the suggestion Tru came up with was also good (elby/slysoft) so i wasn’t too sure what was happening officially.

cheers

Anytime Bjproc: You are a good member and I thought you deserved an explaination. Thanks for your input.

Is there a thread or URL that explains what the differences between the older CloneDVD and the newer CloneDVD² and also… do you need to have AnyDVD installed in order for CloneDVD* to work? Or are there other programs/utilities that are needed? TIA!