Is the AUDIO_TS folder always needed?

I own a DVD-9 movie (6.37 GB total size) and I want to make a backup copy of it. It has a VIDEO_TS folder with BUP, IFO and VOB files, however the AUDIO_TS folder exists but is empty. By reading the CloneDVD FAQ I have noticed I might get coasters without an AUDIO_TS folder if I play my backup DVD on some old players. But, in that case, do I have to extract the audio from the VOB files ? And how do I make synch with the video then ?

the AUDIO_TS folder is typically empty so don’t worry about doing anything with it, and it’s supposed to be included on video dvds for compatibility reasons. i’ve never run into problems trying to play a video dvd without the AUDIO_TS folder (i’ve noticed that some retail dvds don’t have it), but i include it whenever i burn my own video dvds just because it’s not hard to so.

I have burned lots of dvd,s without the AUDIO_TS folder and have had no problems on all of my standalone dvd players.
Most of the time i just include it though even if it is empty…

Yup, the vast majority of DVD Players do not require this. There were some older players that had some issues with these. Either way it won’t kill you to take the extra 10-15 seconds to add one to the disc just to be safe, right? I for one would feel like a complete shmuck if I went over to a buddies house and the movie didn’t work on his player simply because I was too lazy to spend the extra 10-15 seconds to put a blank AUDIO_TS folder on there. :wink: Even though it is empty it does help out with compatibility on a few older players. :wink:

Only DVD Ive ever seen that had a file in Audio_TS was a DVD Audio disc. I have not seen any movies (retail) that had data in this folder

The software I use to burn with (Roxio’s EMC7.1) does not output a audio_ts folder and I have never had a problem playing the resulting dvd’s anywhere (my own players, or family members). It is my understanding that it is not necessary except for a DVD Audio disc as described by kav2001c.

Only DVD Audio uses the audio_ts folder. It stores the high resolution audio in it. If there is any video or still footage then the disc uses both video and audio folders.

Old players could not play DVD’s with no audio_ts.

Update - as a matter of fact, I just saw my first commercial DVD that didnt even bother including the (useless) empty Audio_TS folder. Go check out Disneys Ice Age.

[QUOTE=kav2001c;1036667]Only DVD Ive ever seen that had a file in Audio_TS was a DVD Audio disc. I have not seen any movies (retail) that had data in this folder[/QUOTE]
On the Audio DVD what was the structure of the files in the AUDIO_TS folder? Are they MPEG3 files? What were the file extensions?

Is the AUDIO_TS folder always needed ?

Yes, for compatibility reason.

If you don’t have an AUDIO_TS folder, simply copy one from another DVD on your hard drive, and place it alongside the VIDEO_TS folder for your new DVD. As long as it’s empty and there, that’s all you need.

[QUOTE=Robinsong;2267130]If you don’t have an AUDIO_TS folder, simply copy one from another DVD on your hard drive, and place it alongside the VIDEO_TS folder for your new DVD. As long as it’s empty and there, that’s all you need.[/QUOTE]

The same as just making one :wink:

Regardless of the rarity of compliance issues my recommendation is to always include the AUDIO_TS folder as it takes up virtually no space and pre-empts any potential issues (however unlikely).

[B]Wombler[/B]

Not all DVDs have an AUDIO_TS folder. I have a few.
For example, Mission Impossible 3.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2268205]Not all DVDs have an AUDIO_TS folder. I have a few.
For example, Mission Impossible 3.[/QUOTE]

I know, and I seem to recall that some of the Disney DVDs are like this too.

It does no harm to include it though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It does no harm to include it though.

So true.