Is the Audio Output necessary for DVD Writer?

I’m planning to buy a LG GH22NP20 IDE DVD Writer for my HP Pavilion 8505 Desktop. Currently i have a Samsung IDE CD-Writer in the slot which i’m replacing it with the new LG DVD burner.
But the CD writer has been connected to my Motherboard by a IDE cable and 4-pin Power connector. The Audio Output Connecter is left open.
So will i have to connect some cable to the Audio Output in my new LG DVD writer or Is it optional ?

Hi :slight_smile:
Most (if not all) of the latest drives have no audio (analogue) output.
They have digital audio transferred via the IDE or SATA cables.
So you can dispense with the analogue audio cable.

Thanx zebadee,
since i haven’t used any audio cable for my 5 yrs old CD Writer so i don’t think I’d be needing it for my new DVD Writer.

Your CD Drive probably has a 40 wire, 40 pin connections on your IDE cable. With the new DVD Burners you will need a 80 wire,40 pin IDE/ATA cable.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

But how can i replace a 40 wire 40 pin with a 80 wire 40 pin cable in my motherboard ?

[QUOTE=varunmehta11;2310378]But how can i replace a 40 wire 40 pin with a 80 wire 40 pin cable in my motherboard ?[/QUOTE]

They are compatible.
The clue here is 40pin for both.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

Sorry I forgot all about the cable aspect.
A problem now I’m all SATA. :wink:

I have 3 IDE Ports on the Motherboard. One is connected to the Hard disk, second is connected to two CD Drives(Master and slave). And third is connected to the floppy drive. So if i replace any of the 40 wire IDE cable (Except for the Hard Disk cable) with a 80 wire cable, will it work for my new DVD Writer? Also does all these three IDE ports have the same data transfer speed ?

Ideally both your HDD & optical drives should have 80 wire/40 pin cables.
Have your HDD on & let any optical drives share the other.
Making sure that your “jumper” settings are for master & slave.

Although this link shows HDD’s.
Principal is the same.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/Singl-Master-and-Slave-Drives-and-Jumpering.htm

Actually one IDE channel is solely dedicated to my Hard Disk only (as Master) and the Slave is left vacant. The second channel is dedicated to my 2 cd drives(master and slave both).
Now is it possible to replace only the 40 wire 40 pin cable of the second channel with a 80 wire 40 pin cable and keep the first channel(having hard disk) as 40 wire 40 pin simultaneously ?
Also is it mandatory to use only the IDE cable which has two separate connectors(Master and slave) ? Can’t i use a single connector IDE Cable since i want to use only one optical drive in the second channel ?

There is no reason why you can’t mix 80wire/40pin with 40wire/40pin.
Although I have seen sngle IDE cables, they are rare, so cost as much if not more.
Just get a standard cable.
Have your new drive set to master.
Connect blue end of IDE cable to motherboard & black to your drive.
I just assumed that you might want to keep one of your old drives.

Thanx a lot ,Now i’ve finished my prerequisites

[QUOTE=varunmehta11;2310424]I have 3 IDE Ports on the Motherboard. One is connected to the Hard disk, second is connected to two CD Drives(Master and slave). And third is connected to the floppy drive.[/QUOTE]

Actually, unless you have a very unusual motherboard AND a very unusual floppy drive, the third one is a floppy drive connector. which looks very similar to an IDE connector except it has fewer pins (I think it is 34 - can’t be bothered looking it up or digging up a cable)

Thanx everyone ! i’ve bought LG GH22NP20. And it is reading the DVDs flawlessly with the 80 wire 40 pin cable (Not yet checked DVD burning yet).