Is the 116/216 better than the 115/215? (Pioneer DVR-216D)

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-216D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I wonder if the 116/216 is better than the 115/215 in terms of reading/writing quality. Can somebody help me with that?

At this point in time, the answer is an emphatic NO. The 115/215 series of drives has more mature firmware with better writing quality and fewer bugs. At some point in the future, the 116/216 may catch up, but right now, the older drives are better.

If you can find a 115/215 for $30 USD or less (including shipping), buy one if you don’t have one already, or buy one as an extra, even if you’ve already got one. They are becoming a valuable item, just like the older BenQ and Plextor drives are.

[QUOTE=negritude;2219478]At this point in time, the answer is an emphatic NO. The 115/215 series of drives has more mature firmware with better writing quality and fewer bugs. At some point in the future, the 116/216 may catch up, but right now, the older drives are better.

If you can find a 115/215 for $30 USD or less (including shipping), buy one if you don’t have one already, or buy one as an extra, even if you’ve already got one. They are becoming a valuable item, just like the older BenQ and Plextor drives are.[/QUOTE]

I also have both types and agree completely although I doubt if the 116D/216D will ever compare with the 115D/215D. The 116D/216D have been out long enough that it’s very unlikely to see them improve much with a new firmware release.

The 216D I have is not a terrible drive, it’s just not nearly as good as the 115D/215D that I have.

I agree with [B]negritude[/B] and [B]anonabcd[/B]. :iagree:

I also doubt future firmware will fix the quality problems I’m having with the 116 and some premium DVD-R media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2219521]I agree with [B]negritude[/B] and [B]anonabcd[/B]. :iagree:

I also doubt future firmware will fix the quality problems I’m having with the 116 and some premium DVD-R media.[/QUOTE]

may i know wat problem u have wit it?

What order would you guys rank these drives

Sony 7200S0B
Pioneer 216
Liteon iHAS 120

From what I understand the Sony and Pioneer both use the same chipset (Optiarc) ?

I need to get about three drives. The Liteon is a must cause I need it for scanning purposes, but what drives should I get for writing? Sony or Pioneer?

I got told a few months ago that Pioneer would be better cause they really work on their firmware and update it quite often. From the sounds of it in this thread the drive hasn’t really improved much since release has it?

[QUOTE=Ice009;2219833]What order would you guys rank these drives

Sony 7200S0B
Pioneer 216
Liteon iHAS 120

From what I understand the Sony and Pioneer both use the same chipset (Optiarc) ?

I need to get about three drives. The Liteon is a must cause I need it for scanning purposes, but what drives should I get for writing? Sony or Pioneer?

I got told a few months ago that Pioneer would be better cause they really work on their firmware and update it quite often. From the sounds of it in this thread the drive hasn’t really improved much since release has it?[/QUOTE]

The Sony 7200 should be a nec based drive, also the 7200 series has prove to be a great dvd burner so i would go for it, and the liteon for scanning and reading.

Sony also uses mediatek chips (not only nec’s), and at some point sony also had some nexpia chiips (old story).

[quote=super macgyver;2219808]may i know wat problem u have wit it?[/quote] Much higher PIF totals and maximum values when burning premium Taiyo Yuden 8x/16x DVD-R (TYG02/TYG03) on my Pioneer DVR-116D (crossflashed to DVR-116) than with almost any other burning drive.

[quote=vroom;2219859]The Sony 7200 should be a nec based drive, also the 7200 series has prove to be a great dvd burner so i would go for it, and the liteon for scanning and reading.[/quote] Same here. The Optiarc 7200 series are also fairly good readers in my experience - better than earlier series.

I must say I only use my 116D for DL burning, it is the best DL burner for MKM 001 @ 6X that I have seen. :iagree: Not so great with everything else.:Z

Man, I just bought a 216D cause I couldn’t find 215. Now I feel bad about the purchase :confused:

[QUOTE=amgi;2221561]Man, I just bought a 216D cause I couldn’t find 215. Now I feel bad about the purchase :/[/QUOTE]

Don’t feel bad. You could have done far worse. The 115D/215D were just exceptional drives. The 215D suffers only by comparison to them and a select few others, most of which are no longer available or very hard to find.

[QUOTE=amgi;2221561]Man, I just bought a 216D cause I couldn’t find 215. Now I feel bad about the purchase :/[/QUOTE]

Don’t feel bad. The 216D is still a good writer, it’s just that for people who are geeks and nerds, the feeling is that the 215D is better. You’ll still get good use out of it.

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2220131]I must say I only use my 116D for DL burning, it is the best DL burner for MKM 001 @ 6X that I have seen. :iagree: Not so great with everything else.:Z[/QUOTE]

nickyboy4,

Are you finding your 6x burns pretty consistent and/or have you tried 8x? I did a couple of 8x (I have a 216) this past week and one was pretty nice and the other fared a bit worse. I’ll post them in the discussion thread.

Just curious…

What is the best firmware to use with the 215D?

Latest version is fine - 1.22

[QUOTE=BlackholeForever;2223023]nickyboy4,

Are you finding your 6x burns pretty consistent and/or have you tried 8x? I did a couple of 8x (I have a 216) this past week and one was pretty nice and the other fared a bit worse. I’ll post them in the discussion thread.

Just curious…[/QUOTE]

:disagree:No, I only burn at 6X, dont want to waste a DL disc, @6X they have been very consistant, Better then my 112D(which is also very good):iagree: and far far better then my Liteon 20A3P. :clap: But it stinks with SL disc and my Liteon is by far the best burner I have owned as far as SL quality goes.:iagree:

How do the 115/215 drives compare to the 112/212 drives with regard to DL burning? Right now I have a 112D that I use almost exclusively for DL burning (MKM001 and MKM003 only), but I am considering picking up a 215D if it’s marginally better in that respect. I don’t really care about single layer burns on the 215 as I’ve already got several drives that are fine for those.

[QUOTE=sengar;2232831]How do the 115/215 drives compare to the 112/212 drives with regard to DL burning?[/QUOTE]

They’re as good or better.