Is Taiyo Yuden sold in stores?

Sorry if this is a stoopid question…I need to pick up some good blank DVD+Rs and was looking for either Verbatum or Taiyo Yuden, or is T.Y. the actual manufacturer of various brand names like Verbatum? I know I can find Verbatum at Best Buy, but are there any other brands made by T.Y. sold at retail? I am only buying a small number, not a spindle, so I know I’m going to pay a little more. Oh, I am looking at stores in the San Francisco area.
Thanks!:confused:

Though Verbatim does sell some TY +R disks (I’ve seen them in some of the tests here at cdfreaks) to my knowledge, they aren’t sold here in the US. Very few brands are using Taiyo Yuden as a supplier for disks in the US and none of those are +R. You can buy TY +R disks in bulk packs of 50 online at accaproducts.com

If your burner can use -R disks, you can get TY disks under the Fuji brand. Look at Best Buy and get the Fuji 4x -R disks in packs of ten. Make sure the packaging says Made in Japan.

If you are limited to +R disks, then a good alternative would be the Verbatim 4x +R disks made in Singapore. And if you can’t find those, you can always get the Ricoh/Ritek disks sold under many different brands. Maxell +R disks seem to be consistently Ricoh, though I personally would prefer the -R Maxell’s made in Japan. Just depends on what your burner can use.

Originally posted by QOTSA

or is T.Y. the actual manufacturer of various brand names like Verbatum?
Not really. Verbatim Pastels are made by TY ( read the discussion in [COLOR=blue]TY in U.K ? )

Verbatim is usually produced by MCC or CMC.

To find out more on the TY DVDR media brands goto :

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R

Accordingly > Verbatim - CMC & Mitsubishi DVDR stuff.[/COLOR]

Thanks guys!
My trip to Best Buy was a bust. Just about everything in the smaller quantity packs I was looking for was cleaned out. The Verbatums were Mitsubishi/Singapore. I peeked at the spindles of Fuji too, couldnt find a mfgr. name. I guess I’ll wait till they restock next week.

Right now, the only TY DVD+R you will find in the USA is this.

If you want TY DVD-R, get Fuji 4x DVD-R in 10-pack jewel cases.

You won’t see a manufacturer’s id on the packaging. Which is why its difficult sometimes to tell who is making what for whom.

You have to use a program like DVDInfoPro and look at the burned disks themselves.

Verbatim is the trade name for Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp, and many of their disks are made by MCC, but some are made in India by Moser Baer and some are made in Taiwan by CMC as pointed out earlier. The ones made in Singapore are some of their best. I used quite a few of them before switching to mostly Japanese made -R disks.

Originally posted by QOTSA

couldnt find a mfgr. name.

Originally posted by Kerry56

You have to use a program like DVDInfoPro and look at the burned disks themselves.

Well, DVDInfoPro is not free. Why the burnt ? The blanks are fine as well.

If you just need to get the disc ID, these 2 would be more than enough :

[COLOR=blue]SmartBurn 3.17

Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 (RITEK…)
Disc TID = 52 30 32 (R02)
Nominal Capacity = 4.36GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

DVD Identifier V3.2

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R02-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R02]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Right now, the only TY DVD+R you will find in the USA is this.

If you want TY DVD-R, get Fuji 4x DVD-R in 10-pack jewel cases.

The only DVD+R in the USA ? And how about cheaper ones here :

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4.7GB 4X $1.68 ea.100-Pack

A good source as well : [/COLOR]

10 Pack Taiyo Yuden 4X DVD-R

BoSkin

DVDInfoPro IS free, though the author will accept donations for registered versions. It will also set booktype for my NEC drive if I don’t use Nero to burn, so it can have multiple uses.

My particular burner won’t read blank disks. Have to use the program with ones I’ve already burned. Your drive may not have that liability.

DVDInfoPro IS free
If it’s free, what this message is supposed to mean then ?

Boskin
The free version of DVDInfoPro is technically adware, but it is the least objectionable adware program I’ve ever seen. It is fully functional and you do not have to pay anything or register it to use it.
If you haven’t tried to download and use it I suggest you try it.

If you haven’t tried to download and use it I suggest you try it.
Oh boy, you really are a cool guy. Where do you think the above picture comes from ?
FYI, I snapped it for your sake to demonstrate what would happen if you didn’t have a key.

Search for DVDInfoPro and see how many times my name appears there.

Dvd Info Pro v.2.29 out

LOL.

I suggest we stick to the topic of this thread.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

I suggest we stick to the topic of this thread.
Fully agree with that.

Taiyo Silver Lacquer DVD+R

Taiyo Yuden Corporation, Ltd. was founded over 50 years ago. Their world headquarters is located in Tokyo, Japan.
Taiyo Yuden (America) is the North American subsidiary of Taiyo Yuden Corporation, Ltd. and has regional sales offices in Schaumburg, IL; Raleigh, NC; Irving, TX; San Marcos, CA; San Jose, CA; and San Diego, CA. Taiyo Yuden operates factories in the United States, Japan, Singapore, Korea, China, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia and Mexico.

Taiyo Yuden maintains a large product line that includes power supplies, converters, and capacitors. The Recordable Media Group of Taiyo Yuden produces high-quality CD-R and DVD-R products.

Taiyo Yuden products are recognized for their high reliability in the media recording industry.
Taiyo Yuden CD-R products consistently outperform the competition in recording accuracy and superior durability in a wide variety of data and audio applications.
Their DVD-R products offer the same consistent quality and are perfect for storage of multi-media and video applications.

:bigsmile:

sorry could’t help it.

m