Is storing printable discs in cake/spindle boxes safe?

vbimport

Is it safe to store burned and printed discs in cake/spindle boxes? Is there a danger that ink from the printed side of one disc be transferred to the burned side of the next disc above it? I have a large number of discs stored in nylon/paper envelopes and I am thinking to move them in empty cake/spindle boxes I already have. I am asking about long duration storage and discs that were burned and printed a long time ago with dry ink.

Should be fine. All discs have a “stacking ring” at the center to allow stacking that way. It certainly better/safer than some of the other storage schemes around.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784415]Is it safe to store burned and printed discs in cake/spindle boxes? Is there a danger that ink from the printed side of one disc be transferred to the burned side of the next disc above it? I have a large number of discs stored in nylon/paper envelopes and I am thinking to move them in empty cake/spindle boxes I already have. I am asking about long duration storage and discs that were burned and printed a long time ago with dry ink.[/QUOTE]
I see no problem as long as it is permanent ink then it should come off-just don’t expose it to sunlight or heat that might make the print ink run. But I use a folder like binder with cd/dvd/bd sleeves to store my burned and printed media.

I never had a problem.

I was looking for an image of the “filing cabinet” type storage that I use and came across this. [B]Aluminium Storage Case[/B] . Keep the media in the dark and you don’t have to worry about ink transferring to the upper disc. Will take up a little more room than using a spindle but the boxes are easily stackable.

Only problem I see is gravity eventually causing the 1s and 0s to pool at the bottom of the disc. :eek: :disagree: :doh:

[QUOTE=biggles77;2784437]I was looking for an image of the “filing cabinet” type storage that I use and came across this. [B]Aluminium Storage Case[/B] . Keep the media in the dark and you don’t have to worry about ink transferring to the upper disc. Will take up a little more room than using a spindle but the boxes are easily stackable.

Only problem I see is gravity eventually causing the 1s and 0s to pool at the bottom of the disc. :eek: :disagree: :doh:[/QUOTE]
I have this and the sleeves have a lip that scratches the discs when you insert them. Definitely not recommended.

I have used envelopes/sleeves before and most scratch discs. Also envelopes/sleeves sometimes absorb ink from printed discs or worse stick to the them.

probably not the most ideal, but better than nothing. Just be careful moving them on and off that they don’t rub together.

Should the spindles with the stored discs inside be kept somewhere dark or is it safe to store them in a room with sunlight?

Keep them in the dark, just in case. But that could be a box or a bin, a closet, or something similar.

No problem at all, from what I can understand.

As long as you use valid pens, markers that are intended for use on CDs etc. I remember when I decided to copy back over 2000 dvds and throw them away as I moved over to hard drive storage. It took forever and of all the discs only six or seven of them gave me read problems. Some files where damage, but the reason for that was .avi files and burned with XA Mode 2 that I used for video files. So less error detection and error correction. And I always had good quality media, and always used pioneer burners, first one was 4x I think.

Anyway, I had written on them, and the movie discs had even more text on them, all stored in cakebox, away from sunlight and in room temperature. Even the CDr discs burned on a Plasmon 2x writer from the 90s I could read without any problem some where gold discs others where not. Even some cheap crappy media was fine to. All my discs had writing on them with proper pens, so I can guarantee you will have NO problems as all.

Important note:

When storing in cake box, remember the disc at the bottom can scratch, I used the tiny plastic ring that came in most of the cake box at the bottom to lift the stack a bit so if you move the boxes around that disc will not scratch, or you can use a coaster disc at the bottom.