Is storing DVD's in cake/spindle boxes viable for long term against warping

Anyone know or have any theories about storing 50/ 100 pack dvd’s in their cakebox. My concern is that over time, heat &/ or gravity would slowly warp the discs as their stored horizontally?. Unfortunately jewel cases are not a option for me and too many dvd’s.

I did quite a bit of research on this a number of years ago in preparation for an article, that I never had the time to finish, but for archival purposes, they’re best stored vertically as they’re susceptible to flexing or bending if stored for a long period of time in a non-vertical position.

What you could do though is store the cake boxes horizontally. I’d be inclined to pack something in the top of each cakebox to stop the discs moving. If the cakeboxes are all the same or similar enough you can place them together and they’ll hold each other, which will keep the discs vertical. If that’s not the case then you might have to put something underneath one end to raise the box and keep the discs vertical.

Orientation is just one part of the equation though as the reflective layer will degrade, over varying lengths of time, depending on the degree of exposure to sulfur dioxide and moisture which both occur naturally in the air.

Temperature also has an effect and they should be stored in as constant a temperature as possible, similar to the environment in which they will be used, as warming and cooling repeatedly causes stress and increases the penetration of moisture.

Light degrades discs as well so they should be kept in a dark environment.

All of these factors interact and affect each other so in real world conditions it’s complex predicting just how long discs will last. Best compromise though is usually the most realistic approach.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply, yes i have already seen and done everything in my power to minimize exposure to moisture, light and heat. But in my case practically I have stored only many of MEI BD-R in vertical jewel cases.

I did try your suggestion with the horizontal layout of the cakebox, and placed number of rubber sheets to meet the height the cakebox provides to level the entire cakebox equally. However I have noticed the front 20-30 discs begin to press on each other iam not sure if the small micrometer? stacking ring is enough to separate them, what are your thoughts?

Also do you think my concerns are ill advised if the data layer of dvds with 0.6mm poly-carbonate on the end are pressed against the printable labels of the subsequent dvd’s in the cakebox?

Labels add another layer of complexity as do write on markers.

Stick-on labels are the worst and chemicals in the the adhesive can eventually penetrate the disc even if they’re specifically designed for that purpose.

Regardless though, even if they’re printable discs then potentially the chemicals from these can also migrate into the surface of the adjacent disc if they’re touching that other disc.

Likewise with markers. The chemicals in these can affect the disc. In both cases though it’s better to go with products officially designed for that purpose rather than using normal labels or markers not specifically formulated for use on optical discs.

With regard to the storage aspect of things I think you’re better off with them horizontally but depending on your budget the metal DJ cases with individual sleeves are pretty economical and that’s what I use.

Here’s an example of what I mean, but bear in mind this is just the first search result that I spotted, so I’m not necessarily recommending this specific one.

https://www.rivieramultimedia.co.uk/neo-aluminium-dj-case-420-disc-capacity-c2x15126866

With double sided pockets you can fit a large number of discs safely and securely into a very small storage space. You can index them and stack the boxes as well so they’re very neat.

You can get them with smaller and larger capacities too depending on your needs.