Is something wrong with my LG GSA-4163B?

vbimport

Hi i just got my GSA-4163B and this is the first DVD writer that i own.
I burned a DVD+R (Mitsubishi 4X MCC002) with about 4 GB of data.

Wanting to try out whether this DVD was compatible with my drive i tried to run a disc quality test on Nero CD-DVD Speed ver 3.61. Unfortunately the start button was greyed out and i tried unchecking/checking some functions but to no avail. The same goes for all my other tests in the “Extra” tab. in other words i can’t run the overburning test, scandisc and disc quality test.

I can only do the default tests and not the extra tests. So can anyone here please guide me on this? I am quite new to this and sorry for asking such a question on my first post already.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

P/s the firmware version for the drive is A101 and using windows XP. I also have DMA enabled for the drive.

LG drives can’t perform such tests
You’ll need a drive able to do PI/PO error test such as Liteon, Benq or Plextor

A.

Just look at what andreapappy has. :wink:

NEC ND3500AG ( 2.18 )
LG GSA-4163B ( A101 )
BENQ DW1620 ( B7P9 )
LITEON SOHW-1633@1653 ( CS09 )

Having four different 16x DVD writers is a good thing. :slight_smile:

I have:

LG GSA-5163D
BenQ DW1620 (Nu-tech OEM, made by BenQ in China)
Lite-On SOHW-1613S (CS09 firmware)
Pioneer DVR-108 (A08 OEM)
TSST TS-H552B

Still no Plextor PX-716A and no NEC ND-35x0.

Among those, I use LG and Pioneer for writing. BenQ and Lite-On for scanning. TS-H552B… hmm… virtually no use.

Ah ic. Thanx again for ur replies. Get 4 burners :eek:

Couldn’t afford that many writers currently so i guess i have to stick with LG. Any other methods to test for quality without having to buy another DVD writer like Benq to test? If there is one i would be grateful :slight_smile:

Well, you can perform the transfer rate test, ie Can you read back your recently burned data?
At least it’s the more important test :wink:

Nero CD-DVD Speed has Scan Disc menu as well.

Hi Guys, new here, I bought a LG GSA-4163B 2 days back, and having a DVD write problem, there is no problem while reading data or Movies. Let me explain when I write (Nero 6.6.XX) either data or movies my other DVD drive can’t read it (Compaq Laptop), though it can read its own writing.

Onther thing, don’t know if it is related, the Label of the first DVD inserted is not refreshed in “My Computer” or explorer, if you put any other DVD, like if the first one has a Label “XYZ” if you repalce the DVD with another one with label “ABC” it will not show “ABC” it will continue showing “XYZ”

Can any one help please?

Set book type to DVD-ROM in nero. I have yet to have a problem with other drives/machines reading disks. Also, make sure you use decent media.

Good luck.

Onther thing, don’t know if it is related, the Label of the first DVD inserted is not refreshed in “My Computer” or explorer, if you put any other DVD, like if the first one has a Label “XYZ” if you repalce the DVD with another one with label “ABC” it will not show “ABC” it will continue showing “XYZ”

check this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330135