Is Some Technology REALLY necessary?

This article (as it reflects the blogger’s views and observations) on HD-DVD and Blu-ray in some cases really expresses what I feel about this very well–especially 3-5 and #7. We don’t really need HD-DVD or Blu-ray for a better life (nor for a better movie experience for that matter). The phenomenon is not unlike the current unneeded (and poor quality) attempts by camera makers to have several 18x zoom cameras on the market. The result? People thinking the bigger zoom is better, when the image quality (especially on the Olympus SP-560) really bites. “Bigger” is not always better, and it really seems foolish for this whole format conundrum to have gotten started in the first place, when people weren’t complaining en masse about DVD prices nor lack of viewing quality. Simply put, there was no NEED for more and what this boils down to is just more “bling,” not anything really substantive.

There’s a lot to agree with with in the article and Quema34’s post. As I read the last sentence, I was reminded of George Carlin’s routine on “stuff”. I share this as I think it may reflect many user’s feeling about technology.

Simply put, there was no NEED for more and what this boils down to is just more “bling,” not anything really substantive.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8896213084482448693

This happens with everything and even more so today. Just look at drugs. They come out with new drugs every few years for everything and say they are better but if you read the real test of them compared to the old drug, you find the improvement was just a few percentage points. I also think that in a lot of cases had they tested the new drugs against the old drugs for a longer time they would find there was no difference. You have to ask yourself do you want to pay for a picture that is just a little better than what you have or what might be a lot better but the picture you have is good enough for you to watch.

I for one am a tech type guy but I do not go out and buy a new computer or anything else just because the new one is better, If what I have works for me then I do not need the new one.