Is renaming drive letter's bad?

I finally installed my new Lite-On. I also have a Plextor and a DVD-Rom. The drives are installed from top DVD-Rom (E) then Plextor (G) and Lite-On (F). I want them to be named E, F, G.

Would renaming the Plex to E: and the Lite-On to G: cause any performance or burning problems?

Thanks

none whatsoever…

no problemo

the only problem u would see is if you changed to letters to onces u havent used before and an installer like office2000 will search the installed drive, as does WinXP and offcourse it cant find the default install location, however thats not a major problem to just select the right drive anyways

Originally posted by CyberPlex
[B]I finally installed my new Lite-On. I also have a Plextor and a DVD-Rom. The drives are installed from top DVD-Rom (E) then Plextor (G) and Lite-On (F). I want them to be named E, F, G.

Would renaming the Plex to E: and the Lite-On to G: cause any performance or burning problems?

Thanks [/B]

Some older games refuse to work off any drive but the drive (letter) they were installed from, or worse, the first cdrom drive letter.

You can’t hurt the system by doing a drive letter change though.

I’d recommend making the drive you intend to use most of the time for reading/installing the drive letter E: just to make sure.

Burning programs usually don’t use drive letters to address the correct burner anymore. They use the atapi ID, and so address it directly. So changing the drive letter assignment is purely cosmetic.

Originally posted by CyberPlex
[B]I finally installed my new Lite-On. I also have a Plextor and a DVD-Rom. The drives are installed from top DVD-Rom (E) then Plextor (G) and Lite-On (F). I want them to be named E, F, G.

Thanks [/B]

no performance or burning problems for sure. go ahead.:smiley: