Is really HDMI a so innovative and better performing interface?

I just posted the article Is really HDMI a so innovative and better performing interface?.

According to an interesting article published at Audioholics, the HDMI interface was developed to serve the interests of the content-provider industries, not to serve the interests of the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13370-Is-really-HDMI-a-so-innovative-and-better-performing-interface.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13370-Is-really-HDMI-a-so-innovative-and-better-performing-interface.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I am content with my anamorphic progressive scanned DVD output routed through component cables on a properly calibrated 42 inch plasma display, thankyou very much. When people view my set-up and make comments like “Wow this high definition really is better”! I just smile :wink:

HDMI has a few issues that should have been sorted out as a consumer cable Twisted Pair - Good for bidirectional, error correcting comms. Bad for unidirectional, realtime data flow. Coax should be used instead. Or better yet, optical. Parallel Data - All bits have to arrive at the same time, serial goes into a buffer then displayed. Same number of lines, same data rate, better handling. Single Path - Only one connection video->video. If it was like SCSI 7 devices could be chained to the “master”, which would likely be a TV

HDMI 1.3, LOSSLESS AUDIO. Did anyone forget that ?.

How many HD TV’s sold have HDMI 1.3 ? Very few. Those that want to play Blu-ray or HD DVD content are being shafted because of this.

Yes CountZero HDMI “can” work. It just doesn’t ALWAYS work. The HDCP “handshaking” routine built into HDMI doesn’t always work. Some people literally have to stop their movie, and reboot their player and TV every few minutes. This is becasue every so often the handshake routine is repeated and if (more like when) the handshake screws up, the TV is no longer “trusted”. Why upgrade :r from DVI when SPDIF/TOSLINK + DVI is just as good?
This message was edited at: 26-05-2007 19:39

plextdude1234, I think you have a gramatical error it should be HDMI 1.3 LOSES Audio!!!

Yes CountZero HDMI “can” work. It just doesn’t ALWAYS work. The HDCP “handshaking” routine built into HDMI doesn’t always work. Some people literally have to stop their movie, and reboot their player and TV every few minutes. This is becasue every so often the handshake routine is repeated and if (more like when) the handshake screws up, the TV is no longer “trusted”. Why upgrade :r from DVI when SPDIF/TOSLINK + DVI is just as good?

HDMI does the work. Having a good TV (one that can do a 1:1 pixel mapping) does the work with HDMI. HDMI (up to 1.2) is almost identical to a single DVI, the only difference is no audio and mandatory HDCP. HDMI 1.3 gives more bandwidth. HDMI also add something interesting: DEEPCOLOR, 30+ bit per pixel. Audio is another good thing (but you’ve to get a proper amplifier with HDMI pass-thru). Latest: I own an HDMI 1.3 FullHD HDTV (not that expensive, €1500) and a PS3; they works great togheter (component X360 isn’t that bad either) but you’ll have to forgot TV capaible of syncing 480+ over analog from 2010 onward and component input from 2013 (analog sunset agreement).

Yes HDMI is a definite upgrade in terms of the Xbox 360 Elite Edition for HD DVD’s and DVD’s expecially since it up converts the DVD’s unlike the Premium edition which I has since sold. The Only draw back is that I only have an HDMI 1.0 or 1.1. It is the Walmart Special Sanyo 36 Inch with Integrated terrestrial Antenna. The only problem is that the DVD playback is somewhat screwed up with the system. All DVD’s start up with weird colors and will get to the menu. Then I start the movie and my screen show HDCP connection covered and the Movie and Audio are fine and 5.1 surround out of my TV. How do I fix this. I only have the HDMI cable hooked up.