Is +R a subset of +RW?

Hi
I have a HL-DT-ST DVD + RW GCA-4040N and TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E. Since only +RW is mentioned in my burner, does it also support +R? I think it should, but just want to make sure.

Also I couldn’t find the compatible DVD+R/DVD+RW media for my burners on internet. Could you please suggest me which media to buy?

Finally, how do I check what is my firmware? I brought both these will my dell PC/ laptop only 6 months ago. Do I need a firmware upgrade. If yes, where do I find them.

Thanks,
Karthik

Yes

Verbatim is usually a good choice.

I use good ole’ Clonecd to check what firmware a certain drive has, if I’m in doubt.

The ‘HL-DT-ST DVD + RW GCA-4040N’ seems to be a joint effort between Hitaci LG and Goldstar. From what I’ve found out, none of these companies have posted a firmware upgrade for the drive yet.

According to Teac’s site there’s no upgrade available for the ‘TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E’.

1. If a drive supports +RW, it’s guranteed to support +R as well.

2. I doubt your burner is the 8x kind, so just about any 4x DVD+R will work, the only difference is quality. Check the media forum for more info on what’s good and what’s not.

3. Download Nero InfoTool from CDSpeed2000.com. Nice tool that also comes w/ Nero to show you info about DVD-ROM, CD writer, and DVD writer, which includes firmware, speed, format it can read or write. No, if you have no problem w/ your current firmware, upgrade is not necessary or recommended.