Is QSuite Rubbish?

I have a BenQ 1655 Writer and of course the QSuite app that normally comes bundled with BenQ drives. I am using the most up to date version 2.1. I had some bad burns using Verbatim 16X DVD+R(MCC04-MIT) SL discs. I thought I would use the QSuites Qscan to test the blank discs before I did the burn. QScan(on default setting) did not reccommend 16X burning for any of the blank discs, nor did it reccommend 12X or 8X, it did however reccommend 4X. I then changed the test mode from normal to Smart and it then reported the same discs were O.K. for burning at 16X and 12X but not for 8X and 4X, which contradicts the scan on the same discs in on the default QSuite setting. I have all the other QSuite settings set at Default. Can this app be trusted at all. BTW I am running Vista Home Premium as my O/S.

The different modes scan different parts of the disc in different ways. If the drive reports back that the area it’s scanning is out-of-spec, then you’ll get a not recommended from QSuite.

You might be better off looking at the graph Qscan produces and seeing just how out-of-spec the tracking and focus errors are. Then take these with a grain of salt and burn at 16x. If the discs come out horribly again, then QSuite and the 1655 knew what they were talking about. Otherwise, you’ll know that–for you–QSuite isn’t the best thing to use.

But in a lot of cases, QSuite turned out to be a life-saver for poor media. :iagree:

:iagree: wallace0134

QSuite is the best DVD burner manufacturer tool ever made, except for PlexTools. :wink:
A fluke here and there…does it really matter.

Hi :slight_smile:
Rafterman,
By doing two different tests. You got two different answers.
One test was asking whether the media without any tuning. Was good.
It’s answer was yes, but at relatively low speeds.
The second test is asking the same question, but with tuning. Hence the pushing up of write speeds.
BTW By tuning I refer to SB, OS & WOPC etc.
The idea of QScan is to assess, but play safe in the interest of the burn quality.
So yes it does work, but that doesn’t mean that you take the results as gospel. Only as a guide.

[quote=pinto2;1936962]:iagree:QSuite is the best DVD burner manufacturer tool ever made, except for PlexTools. :wink:
A fluke here and there…does it really matter.[/quote]I agree. Does the occasional fluke really matter? :disagree:[quote=zebadee;1936983]Hi :slight_smile:
Rafterman,
By doing two different tests. You got two different answers.
One test was asking whether the media without any tuning. Was good.
It’s answer was yes, but at relatively low speeds.
The second test is asking the same question, but with tuning. Hence the pushing up of write speeds.
BTW By tuning I refer to SB, OS & WOPC etc.
The idea of QScan is to assess, but play safe in the interest of the burn quality.
So yes it does work, but that doesn’t mean that you take the results as gospel. Only as a guide.[/quote]Quite right. I couldn’t have said it any better. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. The thing is it is happening with a lot of the 16X Verb discs so it’s not really like it’s a one off fluke but I do now understand if different parts of a disc is being scanned by the 2 different tests well different results are likely.wallace0134 while observing the graph I noticed that it is always at the end of the test that the Tracking and Focus errors lines shoot upwards. In these cases is burning @4 on a disc rated 16x a good idea?

[quote=Rafterman;1937648]In these cases is burning @4 on a disc rated 16x a good idea?[/quote] I’ve never had DVD media that didn’t burn OK at 8x in a BenQ DW1655 drive and that burned OK at 4x. I propose that 8x is usually the safest burning speed in these drives and that burning slower is usually a waste of time.

I’ve heard of examples where burning at 4x reduced jitter slightly compared to burning at 8x, but I’ve not seen this happen with my own BenQ drives and media.

Personally I found that with either Verbatim or TY 16x rated media.
16x was acceptable.
12x for more complicated backups
8x for reference
Any lower & the quality bar would reverse.
So I wouldn’t burn @ 4x.
The thing with QSuite is that is intended for use with media of unknown quality.
As a result is overly cautious with regards it s assessments & speed ratings.

My experience has been a little different. I ended up dumping QSuite.

My 1640 at some point started acting strangely, with high C1 levels and, more importantly, bad Transfer Rate scans, even though I was (and am) using TYG02s almost exclusively.

I wondered whether it was the media batch, or whether the drive was self-destructing.

I was pretty convinced I needed a new drive, when I read somewhere on the Forum that you should de-install QSuite, flash the drive to another FW and then back to the “favorite” FW (BSLB for me), restart the PC, etc., and try burning again, just using the stock burning strategy.

I’ll be damned, it worked, and my 1640 was performing again!

After that, I didn’t re-install QSuite. If I want to activate Solidburn or Overspeed, I use CD-DVD Speed 4.07, which lets you turn these features on/off.

And I agree, QSuite is more useful when burning a wide range of discs, and probably helpful with “questionable” media.

But, with good media, you don’t really need all that playin’ around with “learned” strategies, unless, of course . . .[B] [I]you’re a real CD Freak![/I] [/B] :bow: :bigsmile:

articulate,
When you blame QSuite for the drives decline in performance. Did you have SolidBurn enabled?
If so, then ‘dumping’ Qsuite & flashing the drive maybe misleading.
The problem with SB is that if you have a rogue disc, it can throw the ‘Learned media’ approach right off track.
If this was the case.
Just disabling SB would’ve have told you if this had happened.
Then if you wanted to (or felt the need to). You could’ve just erased the learned media history.
Flashing to an earlier f/w that didn’t support SB,(1640 only) is one way of ensuring all history is erased.
Then of course as you did, flash to your desired f/w.
BTW.
Using ala42’s EnableSolidBurnReg will allow the use of any version of CD/DVDSpeed.
QSuite unlees you actually start the program running is not one of those that runs in the background.
Not that that means it can’t cause conflicts. But does reduce the chances.

Hi Zeb !
Hmm, you may be right. I usually did have SB enabled, and I once had the misfortune of burning a couple of fake TYG02s, could have screwed up the strategy. As I recall, I did clean learned media and even de- and re-install QSuite, didn’t solve the problem at the time.
Maybe I’ll give QSuite another try . . . I did used to get some sweet 99 burns @12x . . . :cool:
BTW, thx for the EnableSolidBurnReg tip, didn’t know about that one.

[QUOTE=zebadee;1938642]…If so, [B]then ‘dumping’ Qsuite[/B] & flashing the drive [B]maybe misleading[/B].
The problem with SB is that if you have a rogue disc, it can throw the ‘Learned media’ approach right off track.
If this was the case.
Just disabling SB would’ve have told you if this had happened.
Then if you wanted to (or felt the need to). You could’ve just erased the learned media history.
Flashing to an earlier f/w that didn’t support SB,(1640 only) is one way of ensuring all history is erased.
Then of course as you did, flash to your desired f/w…[/QUOTE]Thanks zebadee explaining this in details. :clap:
In the early days of QSuite many members thought “learned” media and its write strats were somehow (also) stored in QSuite. This is ofcourse completely wrong.
Now that we also know CD/DVD Speed is able to govern SolidBurn the view just expressed must be “solid”, heh he. :wink: