Is Princo really that bad for general purpose

I was just making copies of video with my console burner. Tried a few brands and the Princo’s worked pretty good. I also like the white top for writing on though I wonder about ink leaching through and corrupting data.

I keep seeing Princo being called a chead dvd…and it is. But they really don’t seem to be unacceptable for general purpose use. They work…which is more than some others do.

They work for me to.But some people have problems with them. Maybe a bad batch, and everyones set up is different. So what may work perfect well for me may fail for somebody else.So if a certain disc works for you stick with it.
Hope this helps.

Princo and other cheap brands may seem to burn and play okay with a number of DVD drives, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. If you have looked at the PI/PO error charts of Princo media (like in the drive reviews here) they are very poor media.

The dye is of poor quality and may not last long. I would only use them for free distribution copies – not for anything important.

Originally posted by RWP
[B]Princo and other cheap brands may seem to burn and play okay with a number of DVD drives, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. If you have looked at the PI/PO error charts of Princo media (like in the drive reviews here) they are very poor media.

The dye is of poor quality and may not last long. I would only use them for free distribution copies – not for anything important. [/B]
Longevity is a big concern. DVD is new enough that longevity claims are yet to be tested.

I wonder what to expect?

What dvd’s typically give the biggest bang for the buck for the average user while offering acceptable quality? Seems that Ritek is hit or miss these days.

I have been reading a lot. Looks like Optodisc may be up there for bang for the buck.

I’ll get my NEC 1500A in a few days and the fun shall commence.

I am confused since so there are so many manufacturers who sell to so many labelers.

Sony may be good, it may be bad. This would seem to be true for Ritek, TDK, Verbatim, Maxell and several others.

Is it possible to look at the color of the dye used to indicate quality since brand name means so little?

I have read a lot of reports of Princo DVDs becoming unreadable over time. It also seems to be considered lower quality media (see link below). I have not seen any reports of other brands decaying over this short a period of time.

The results posted there seem to confirm much of what I have read. Also, interestingly, Ritek states a 30 year life for their G04 media in their tests. Results from a German website seem to confirm this.

Originally posted by chas0039
[B]I have read a lot of reports of Princo DVDs becoming unreadable over time. It also seems to be considered lower quality media (see link below). I have not seen any reports of other brands decaying over this short a period of time.

www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The results posted there seem to confirm much of what I have read. Also, interestingly, Ritek states a 30 year life for their G04 media in their tests. Results from a German website seem to confirm this. [/B]
Thanks…some interesting info.

Optodisc has a varied reputation for sure. Some say it is great while others call it amongst the worst.

Princo sure is popular in spite of its quality issues. My last batch worked very well and I odered some more before becoming aware of longevity issues.

I think the best way to find good media for you drive is:

1. Read all the media reviews you can find related to your drive to narrow it down to a short list of brand/type candidates.

2. Test them yourself in your drive using the methods recommended here. (K-Probe if you have a compatible Lite-On drive, Nero Speed and/or CDinfo Pro). Read the drive reviews and media tests posted here to learn how to interpret the test results.

No two DVD writers (even the same model #) will have the exact same write or read performance – or disc preference. You need to test in order to discover what works best with YOUR drive. Then, stick with that media and test each new batch in case it has a difference in dye performance…

I would like to argue with all those who knock princo and call them bad but i cant be bothered ill let the graph do the talking

sold as datawrite yellow dvd-r 4x, burned at 4x

this disc contains 3.79 gb worth of mpeg and avi files (every episode of bottom!)