Is Primary/secondary/master/slave connection important?

vbimport

I currently have 1 HDD installed as primary master, one DVD-ROM as secondary master & one CD-RW installed as secondary slave. I’m going to buy a DVD-RW, and I was wondering if is makes any difference to how the devices work according to the way they are installed.
Should I just fill the empty space with the DVD-RW as primary slave? Or should I change the connection to the other devices too??

Nope get rid of the CDRW as it will not be needed any more as CDs can be written with a DVD-RW. Adding an optical drive to the same cable as a hdd will slow the speed down, as you only have one which contains your OS then I wouldn’t do it.

I have a hdd and a DVD-RW attached to one cable, thoug in my case it is one for data storage and not the os one, and I notice the time difference when I am copying and pasting data from one drive to another.

I know that(that I could write CD’s using my DVD-RW), but I was thinking that my CD-RW works fine, so I could “split” jobs,
CD reading -> DVD-ROM,
CD recording -> CD-RW,
DVD reading -> DVD-ROM & DVD-RW
DVD recording -> DVD-RW,
so that I wouldn’t push my optical drives too much and extend their life length. But if that’s gonna slow down my whole system, then I guess I’ll have to get rid of it…

you should plug the dvd-burner onto the secondary channel. this will result in a less risk of “data-jam” between hdd and dvd-rw.
plug your cd-rw on primary slave.
keep your cd-rw only, if it’s needed for cd-burning; especially copying copy protections on cd’s are done much better by good cd-rw’s than dvd-rw’s…
keep your dvd-rom, as it’s easyier to play a backup (with copy protection) from a ROM drive, so you don’t need a (blacklistable(!)) atip-hider…

@Razor1982, the truth is that I will copy CD’s more often than DVD’s, and the DVD-RW I’m gonna buy is the same firm with CD-RW (both LG). I don’t know if I’m gonna have problems with recordings if I use the DVD-RW for that kind of business. Plugin my CD-RW on primary slave won’t slow down my hdd(Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm)?? I’ve been hearing it a lot lately

The ideal setup is to not have HD and optical drives sharing a port. This is not because the HD wil be “slower” per se, but because of the idosyncracies of IDE controllers and shared ports.
Personally, I would lose the DVD-ROM and slide the DVDRW into that slot.

keep the hd on pri master
put the dvd-rw on secondary as master
put the other two where you want them as slaves

i have had burners as slaves with hd or on secondary as master with and without roms
just keep your hd as master on primary.

sorry, could you explain this?? If I have a HDD and a CD-RW on the same channel (DVD-RW & DVD-ROM on the other), what kind of problem could I face?? compatibility?? crashes?? slow speed? could you be more specific?? I’d really appreciate it…

Your HD will be appected by accessing the optical drive, you won’t really be able to use the HD effectively when the optical is reading or writing. Or at least it will be much slower. It’s one port, not 2, and it’s shared so 2 drives on there will have to take turns. You can try it, not all IDE controllers are equal, so some do better than others.

The optimal setup for multiple drives is to put your HD(s) on a PCI controller card and use the main IDE for opticals only.

no problems just have a master and slave on each port, just keep your hd on port 1
I have done this for 14 years and never had a problem.

Follow rdgrimes lead on this, he has it right…

I see… I think I get it now. Just one last question(I bought my dvd-rw yesterday[LG-4163B] :slight_smile: , so I will install it today either way). it would affect my hdd’s speed only when the CD-RW and HDD would be working together(only for CD recordings)? Or all the time?? And is this only a matter of speed? Or I could get BAD cd recordings(data loss) with HDD and CD-RW installed on the same channel?? I mean, ok it’s IDEAL, but how much do I really lose If I don’t follow it?(because I don’t want to buy an extra pci controller right now)

Don’t worry, it’s probably the last day I will be bothering you with (silly) questions… :confused:

don’t worry, all drives have a buffer and most programs use a buffer in memory. the drives will all work as fast as they can. no question is silly and most answers aren’t silly either. if you have a problem somebody will help.

Buffers and underrun proofing can save the day, but the basic problem of having a writer on the same IDE cable that’s the source of the write, is that they get in each others way… the old argument, that the speed drops to that of the lowest, is largely resolved by modern chipsets that support split timings for master and slave, but I think it did reappear for a while in early Ultra-ATA setups that had limitations on mixing Ultra and non-ultra speeds.

The safest way to configure the drives, and in part, my own bias in setting up, is:
HD as Primary Master
DVD Writer as Secondary Master … that’s the two most important drives.

CD-RW as Secondary Slave (don’t try to use it and the DVD writer together)
DVD-ROM as Primary Slave (since using it with the HD, the HD can take the data as fast as it can give it).

That lineup should be OK for writing to either drive (but not BOTH) from the HD, and ok for an attemped “on the fly” from the DVD-ROM, so long as the HD is not working too hard - personally, I’d avoid on the fly copying, though at least with underrun proofing, it can survive a severe choke on the read speed… the first media I lost to that on an old drive, was the last time I tried it!

You’ll never notice the difference if your buffer is set up correctly. Even my old system will burn on the fly…I just don’t do anything else while it’s doing it.