Is Plextor famous for defective units?

hello, I have been reading lots of threads in this forum, and It appears that there are some people complaining about the PX 708a (makes scrathes on dvd media, dvd recognition problems, etc… )

Now, on the other hand, Plextor seems to be No 1 selling DVD burner, so this increases the likelyhood of people having a defective burner.

Now, were this people just unlucky or is it that plextor is selling out many defective units?

Thanks.

I’ve had my plextor 708a since November 2003. I’ve only burnt one coaster which was because the dvd media was manufactured by CMC, which makes crappy media. I have not had any other problems with the plextor 708a. The drive is great!

Every brand of dvd burners have their problems. If you read different forum sites other brands such as Pioneer, Liteon, Lg & Nec have their share of defective or problems with their drives. Dvd burning has so many variables from how the drive is set up in your pc, to the software you use & the brand of media. I’ve seen postings about how some people use cheap dvd media with the plextor drive. They end up burning coasters or they don’t play correctly in standalone dvd players. I’ve found it is best to use the recommended brand of media the manufacturer suggests. Yet some people do use the recommended media and still have problems. So many variables. I’ll continue to purchase Plextor products because of their reliability and great tech support. :bigsmile:

PENT 4 2.4 MHZ CHIP, 1 GIG DDRAM, WIN2000 PRO W/SP 4
PLEXTOR 708A DUAL FORMAT DVD BURNER
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CD BURNER
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CD BURNER
TOSHIBA 1612 (2) DVDROMS
TOSHIBA 1712 DVDROM
CANOPUS ADVC-100 DIGITAL CONVERTER
60 & 120 GB 7200 RPM MAXTOR HARD DRIVES
MAXTOR ATA 133 CONTROLLER CARD

This is by far the best DVD Burner i had so far beeing the successor to DRU500/510 and Philips 208. Not a single problem yet.

Regretfully I have to report my first problem EVER with a Plextor Drive, it only took a little over 10 years so I can be forgiving about it. :bow:

The drive in question is a PX-708A/SW, TLA#0103, purchased in Dec 2003 which suddenly quit working (wouldn’t read or write from anything) and reported error code Green 2, after numerous attempts to flash the bios with 2 different computers it still refused to work and reported the same error. I called tech support and was issued a Tech Support ID number, which I inputted into thier webpage to generate a RMA#.

That was two days ago… and am still waiting for the email back to me with the instructions to RMA? Is this normal? I am used to talking to someone on the phone and getting an advance replacement sent to me within a couple of days. :frowning:

Fortunately, I have another 708A that I bought for my other computer, so at least I am not without a DVD burner for the moment, but it’s still frustrating having to wait.

Have you tried calling tech support? I called them with a question back in December and got a answer quickly.
Toll Free (US/Canada): 1.800.886.3935

Yeah I called tech support, I must have gotten a newb, the email that I got from the RMA department clearly states that I could have had an advance replacement. Oh well, can’t expect everybody to know it all. :stuck_out_tongue:

After all I did go 10 years without a problem!:iagree:

I would have to say also that I have great experience with the 708A driver so far
:iagree:

I only had a problem with my 40x burner, but got replacement drive after 2days!

I only had problems with my 40x drive.
the problems I had with my new premium drive where acctually software related!

took one rma to find that out :stuck_out_tongue: I think plextor doesnt like me any more cause I moaned to them about the drive being defectie and it wasnt