Is other peoples experience that Plex is finicky with media?

vbimport

OK…I’ve just bought a cheap spindle of media…Plextools professional identifies these as LEADDA T01 - a 50 pack for $50 at Fry’s…out of this spindle, about 1/2 of them burn coasters…Princo’s burn fine (after burning a coaster with LEADDA T01) so I think its the media…

Thinkin’ of changing to an NEC drive since it appears that the drive will burn almost anything (except for ritek)…speed doesn’t seem as big a deal to me as much as write quality and reliability…I’m tired of burning data and having lost some because I ‘relied’ on the backup…

What is anybody’s thoughts?

Thanks!!!

(does that mean i’ll change my name to NECBOY?)

Using the recommended dvd media would the best. Princo media burns well on the Plextor 708A but there are reports that they crap out later meaning they don’t playback after a period of time. I don’t know how true that is. I got a dvd off ebay and it’s a princo that I got over a year ago & it still plays ok.

Buying cheap media you pay for what you get. I’d rather purchase quality dvd media that I know will work for me. I purchase my dvd media locally when they’re on sale. Just purchased last week 4 spindles of MAXELL DVD-R from Office Depot. 60 discs for $56.00. Their sale was buy 1 spindle get 1 free. Here’s the MAXELL media code:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID MXL RG02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0A
2x Speed OPC power 0E
2x Write Strategy field 1 15 87 78 90
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 08
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0E 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 A4 00 24 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 19
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 A8 89 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 C6 89 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Buying a dvd burner that will burn cheap media isn’t for me. :eek:

It’s a weird thing. On the one hand people want quality back-ups but on the other hand they purchase cheap and low quality media :confused: If you want quality burns, use quality media. The hardware of course also has something to do with it: certain drives work better with certain media but in general: crappy media will give you low quality burns. Just my 2 cents of course, everyone is free to use the media he/she wants to!

Plextor has a recommended list of media for a reason. If you want your discs to last and your data to be readable a few months down the line, get good media. If you buy a spindle of CD-R media for $20 with a $15 dollar rebate, figure it out for youself…with the manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer making a profit on the deal, the media has to be manufactured cheaply…

Compare prices…if Verbatim is $2.00 each, and another vendor is half that, sombody is putting less into their product. You do get what you pay for. If you back up to cheap RW, and find out in a few months that you can read only half the discs, don’t blame the writer.

bob11879 wrote:

You do get what you pay for. If you back up to cheap RW, and find out in a few months that you can read only half the discs, don’t blame the writer.

G@M3FR3@Kwrote:

It’s a weird thing. On the one hand people want quality back-ups but on the other hand they purchase cheap and low quality media If you want quality burns, use quality media. The hardware of course also has something to do with it: certain drives work better with certain media but in general: crappy media will give you low quality burns. Just my 2 cents of course, everyone is free to use the media he/she wants to!

Amen brothers! You’ve said it all!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

The only thing that bothers me is that with a drive such as the pioneer a06, you can burn on riteks perfectly, without problems, and im sure they’d last a great deal of time.

On the other hand, i’ve purchased riteks for my plextor, and almost every single disc had sector errors.

So I had to return my $92 spindle of riteks and replace it with a $190 spindle of Taiyo Yudens…

What a waste of money…

dismonk wrote:

On the other hand, i’ve purchased riteks for my plextor, and almost every single disc had sector errors.

I use RITEK G04 discs and have not burned any coasters. Picked up those RITEK from PC.CLUB.COM which is listed as “GENERIC”. :wink:

So far I have burned CompUsa branded DVD-R & DVD+R which were both made by Princo and Optorite and had no problems burning but 4 had a problem playing the very end of the DVD on a couple of players. I am using TDK 4X DVD+R now without any problems and they burn at 8X and are RICOH JPNR01. The 4X DVD-R disc’s that I’m using now are PC Club branded Ritek G04 and they also work great. The only disc’s I had trouble with were Memorex 4X DVD+R disc’s last year and made 7 coasters and 9 good burns out of 25 although some of them needed to be closed using BatchDisc. I brought the remaining disc’s and 1 unopened spindle back for a refund. They were also RICOH JPNR01 but didn’t work like the TDK’s I bought. Both were burned with the same Firmware 1.03 at that time. I have been using 1.04 Firmware since it came out. I also have some DVD+RW and DVD-RW CompUsa branded Opto disc’s which also burn fine. As far as CD-R/RW disc’s go I have burned many different brands with no problems. So to make a long story longer, I really don’t find my Plextor 708A that picky at all. I bought it in Sept. of 2003 so it’s a TLA001.