Is my TV breaking down?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung 32" HD-Ready LCD TV. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a 32" Samsung LE32M86BD and this morning I noticed something wrong that I have never seen before. Whenever the screen is showing moving images, pixels appear wherever the moving images are. Still pictures and very slow moving images seem to be ok, but when the screen swtches to another scene some pixels appear and fade away again. This problem happens on all channels.

It sure does not look good. I hope it is nothing worse than a bad cable or cable box.

Consult your user manual, and look for the software update option. Once you find that menu item, check the software versions available in the list, and make the latest version your default software.

Once the TV reboots with the new software, power down the TV completely (remove it from the mains supply), then connect it again. See if this helps.

Display the Samsung internal menu while the problem is on the screen…if the menu is normal, ie, [U]in front of[/U], the lines, the trouble is likely the main board or, less likely, the LVDS cable. If the lines show up [U]in[/U], or [U]on top of[/U] the menu, the trouble is likely the T-Con (timing control) board. Check with an authorized Samsung repair tech…most T-con’s are available separately but some are part of the LCD panel (screen) assembly.

Strangely enough the problem has stopped, but only after I have called out a technician as it’s still under warranty. I just hope it does it again when he’s here so I can get a new one or get it fixed.

Show him/her the photos; most techs have instructions to replace nothing unless and until they can verify the symptom.

The problem might not be your tv. It could be your signal from whatever source you are getting your content from. Some of the weirdest I have seen is over at my mothers house with her Samsung LCD hooked up to cable. Whenever someone moved in the movie, there were traces of a image left behind for a second or two making it look like you are watching some 1960’s acid trip. She has called the cable company several times about her picture. They have worked on it and the picture is fine for about 2-3 weeks and then goes bad again.

Do you get the same problem with a DVD player or other component?

Yes, I tried all channels. The same was happening on both HDMI channels, the S-Video connection from my PC and AV channels

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;2454309]Yes, I tried all channels. The same was happening on both HDMI channels, the S-Video connection from my PC and AV channels[/QUOTE]

Ok. so you are getting the same issue playing a DVD or Bluray or some other video source besides your TV provider? I am thinking it could be a compression anomaly but if you are getting it while watching your DVD’s or something of the like, then it is your TV causing the issues. IF it is your tv, you have no way to upgrade the firmware externally as Dee suggested. I didn’t see any network connection or usb for that matter of fact in the specifications so your only recourse would be to take it to a service center and get it checked out or have them pick it up.

They’re coming out on Saturday, but it has stopped doing what it was doing now and I’m hoping it starts again for when he gets here.

Firmware in the UK for TV sets is transmitted to the set, over the air. You only need to make the new firmware the default firmware, to update it.

[QUOTE=Dee;2454370]Firmware in the UK for TV sets is transmitted to the set, over the air. You only need to make the new firmware the default firmware, to update it.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting. I did not know that.

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;2454344]They’re coming out on Saturday, but it has stopped doing what it was doing now and I’m hoping it starts again for when he gets here.[/QUOTE]

Print out the picture for them or show it to them on the computer. That way it shouldn’t matter if it shows or not.