Is my system big enough to use DVD Burner? HELP PLease!

vbimport

Hi everyone I hope I’m not in the wrong forum …if so I’m Sorry!

The kids got me a DVD burner for mothers day I have installed it and have copied 1 DVD ok but most times my PC reboots without any warning

The DVD Burner is a Samsung SH-W162. I obtained the drives from the Samsung site because I didn’t want to install NERO so they are the most uptodate firmware.
SYSTEM Requirements
CPU = Pentium 111 800 MHz or above
OS = 98, ME, 2000, XP
RAM = 256MB or more

I am wondering if my PC is not up todate enough and it maybe causing the problem.
It may seem strange that I write what It needs but I’m not sure if a Pentium 111 is bigger than my AMD (Plus I’m Blonde, Old and female) LOL

My system is as follows…

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer VIA
System Model VT8371
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 62710, 13/08/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 59.05 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to assist me.
cheers
aprilmay

You have enough meemory (512MB) but your avalable physical memory is not enough (59.05MB). You probably have too many other programs etc. running and it might be interfering with proper burning. I would not think that would cause reboots though. Your power supply might not be up to the upgrade. Do you know any more info n your system such as brand and model, as well as any equipment that might have been upgraded or changed?
Fyi I’m not totally certain buy I think amd family 6 model 6 are early athlons or durons which should be fast enough (not that fast but faster than a pentium 3).

Yes, available RAM is the weak point here.

Hi and thanks for your reply.
I shut everything down before I begin to burn, Anti virus Zonealarm Internet YIM and any adaware apps I have. I will look to see if anything else can go as well.
The available physical memory is that a setting or what I get left with for the PC to operate.
I have not made any changes or updates in a long long time so Figure that’s not the problem.

You are right the it is an early Athalon a Palomino in fact .

My PC was built to my specifications several years ago so has all good brands and not given me any problems.

Can you give me any specific advice to increase the memory would another stick of ram help?.. I cleaned out 20 GIG of rubbish from my hard drive too LOL.

Thanks again for the attention
cheers
aprilmay

Another stick of ram would help. I suspect that your computer is old enough that it might be running sd ram though. There can be issues running diffrent sticks together. You want to try to find memory that is the same speed as what you have so you need to find what is in your computer and find out for sure if it is sdram or ddr ram.

The avalable physical memory is not a setting. It is how much physical memory is free for programs to use (the rest is in use). it of course is constantlly changing as various programs use and release memory. The fact that it ever goes as low as 60MB means that your are running out of memory (your programs are trying to use more than you have). you will never run out of memory because windows will use virtual memory (it uses hard drive space as if it were memory). Virtual memory is incredably slow and will cause problems (leave your amount of virtual memory set high anyway), but you need physical memory (because it is so much faster) avalabe for dvd. Hit ctrl, alt, del and windows task manager should come up (under windows xp anyway). Under the performance tab, you can see real time how much physical memory is in use and how much is free. You can leave this window up while burning or whatever you are doing to see what is going on. Under aplications you can see what major programs are running, and under processes, you can see every single piece of software that is running and how much memory it is using. Don’t be suprized if there are a bunch of programs. See which are using a lot. You can usally just google the process name to tell what program a particular process belongs to.
While you can upgrade to more memory and it might be a good idea depending on what kind of memory you have, 512MB should be plenty for dvd burning (I do it all the time on two athlon xp systems with 512MB in each). Do you check your computer for spyware? I have seen a system that has never been checked have spyware using as much as 200MB of memory. Try running spybot (its free, google it).

I would look into the reboot problem though. Since windows can use virtual memory, it usally doesn’t crash or reboot if you run low on memory, it just slows the system way down. That might cause the burn to fail but shouldn’t cause a reboot. Did you install the drive yourself or have it installed? I would check your drive jumper setting, maybe try another ide cable if you have a spare, try the drive on another ide channel etc. and try to find the cause of the reboot problem. Also, try to find out what kind and size of power supply it has (or even beter the brand and the specifications on the label).

After a google search with the model number I have found it supports PC133. I have never seen a problem runing two different SDRAMs just that the 133 will run at the speed of the lower one. So no DDR for april. SD is an obsolete memory type now so you may find it to be a tad more expenive than the more modern memory.

aprilmay, If I were you I would get in contact with a computer engineer. :wink:

Memory is not (the only) problem here, because even an almost 8y old compu with PII-266 can burn good at 8x speed with half of that memory.

Check you have a 80 conductor IDE cable and jumper at back of your burner connected right.
(There is much more to say here, but all this may be to complicated.)

Your main problem is your compus motherboard, (the base of your compu). VIA Apollo 133 chipset based compus are some of the trickiest to get working with DVD burners. This matter can also cause your compu to reboot without “any reason”.

Sory if I can’t “serve” you a simple solution as my friends above. :sad:

You guys are great and have given me lots to investigate.
Please dont give up on me “I will be back”

I check for Spyware all the time,Ta.

Yes PC133 SDRAM, Ta.

Fancy a Pinto helping a Palomino LOL

See you later and thanks…

aprilmay

I’m back, it honestly has taken me all this time to get the chance to check my DVD problem out. Sorry!
I changed the IDE cable to the one that came with the DVD (not my fault blame my smarty pants daughter) and I burnt a DVD last night without the problem of my PC rebooting occurring. So at this early stage I think that my have been the problem.

I now have a problem with Clone DVD error message re not enough space in my temp folder or something similar but I can go look in the forum to find the answer to that problem I think…
so again thank you very much for your help This place is very worthy of bookmarking and visiting.
cheers
aprilmay

That should be an easy one. Working with dvd’s takes a lot of space (4-8 gig free). Even though you may have had enough space before, there might be files in the recycling bin and or files that didn’t get deleted in the temporary folder that clone dvd used taking several gig of space (from the last thing you burned). I would check that out. Also, if you have more than one hard drive, you can change the location of the temporary folder clone dvd uses to another drive that has more space.