Is My Pioneer 110D Dead?

I have a drive that appears to be, um, half dead.

Background info is that I bought the drive just as the 110D came out a couple of years ago (?). It has been used only occasionally along the way and has been in 2 different systems, also I had it hooked up as a USB drive. Then it died to the point that the activity lamp doesnt light and disks being inserted dont spin-up.

So; the drive will power on and the drawer will open.

All I have done towards figuring this out was to inspet inside for debris that may be stuck in there or if there was any obvious indication that the boards had lifted tracks or burns. I managed to flash the firmware after the physical checks only to find the drive in the same condition afterwards.

Is it a gonner?? thanks

Flashing a firmware cannot solve hardware problems.

Maybe test t in another computer again, but it seems to be dead.

thanks

i thought it may have been a firmware problem considering the drive was being correctly identified but further software interaction was broken.

the drive has been in 4 computers and been setup both IDE and USB. i guess ill give up and call it dead :frowning:

Mh, who knows.
sometime you can try the hotswap method… You have an equal working drive, connect it and run the flasher til recognition, then right before the flashing starts you exchange the drives and pray.

thanks chef but i do not have a problem being able to flash the drive. as my original post says

the boards [do not have] lifted tracks or burns. I managed to flash the firmware after the physical checks only to find the drive in the same condition afterwards

so; it will probably be a hardware problem that is not worth tracing and repairing.