Is my Pioneer 109 failing? Keeps locking up when insert DVD/CD

vbimport

Ok, I burn a lot of DVDs and the other day I tried putting in 2 different DVDs and when I open DVDshrink or explorer to see whats on the disc the entire computer locks and I can’t do anything.

This happens randomly a lot and just today I bought BF2 and when I put cd1 in the computer locked and I had to do a reboot. It also didn’t read my sisters Linksys wireless CD either.

The seconday ide which is what my pioneer dvr-109 is on is set to Ultra DMA 4 and usually never gives me these weird problems. The firmware is 1.58 on the Pioneer drive.

I have all the nForce4 drivers 6.66 set installed, including the SW IDE driver. Any issues with these? This is really annoying and I would like to know why the computer would lock up when I put certain dvds/cds in the drive?

Would this problem have something to do with AutoRun settings in registry? I switched the reg value from 1 to 0 to turn it off???

Could installing the adaptec ASPI drivers help an issue like this?

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D Bios 702-3
Athlon64 4800+
2GB Patriot 2-3-2-5
BFG 7800GTX 490/1300
WD 74GB Raptor SATA
Maxtor 200GB SATA
Pioneer DVR-109

In this kind of issues it’s rather difficult to guess what’s the culprit.
The best is to borrow another drive to check on your machine, or test you drive on another machine. Only way to be sure.
Just make sure that the other machine has a 80-conductor IDE cable and doesn’t have a VIA-KT133A based mobo. :bigsmile:
If nothing changed in your config before the problem started, I’d say that drive failure is, sadly, probable… :frowning:

“The firmware is 1.58 on the Pioneer drive.”

:eek: Uh? I missed the update since 1.57? No 1.58 on the european Pioneer website… :confused:

It’s up on the Pioneer Japan website.
My tests are here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=147439

Thanks man :flower: