Is my old dvd burner the actual problem here?

Hello everyone I just signed up here today. I am a newbie on burning movie files. But here is what I am trying to do. I have downloaded an assortment of youtube videos as mp4 files one was 10 episodes long so I had the 10 mp4 files and went ahead and joined the files with Ultra Video Joiner which outputs them in DivX Format .avi. So after that I load these files on ConvertXDVD and do the menu themes and all that stuff I like and run the convert/burn process and I keep getting a burn error at random spots of the burn. Im using DL memorex disks which is all I have at the moment…the reviews of them on bestbuy were not good at all. My burner is a memorex as well (DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2) and the burner is IDE not Sata. I managed to burn many normal memorex DVDs (not dual layer) and had no problem during the burn so im just wonder your guys advice…is this IDE just too outdated and time for me to grab a SATA burner? Or are the memorex discs just garbage for dual layer burning? If it is time to replace the burner its not a problem. I could just use some good advice on a new SATA burner. Im not burning large quantities of stuff just some stuff here and there for friends. Below are the specs of everything. Also I have done a trial run on just 1 video on a Dual Layer disc and it has worked. However when I add 4 videos it give me an error. But I always make sure that the capacity isnt over 8gb before I try to burn…its all very strange. Any help would be fantastic.

Windows XP SP3 Home Edition
Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66 GHZ
4GB DDR2 RAM
ConvertXtoDVD 3
Ultra Video Join 4.8.0108
Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 Burner

Don’t use Memorex DL media. The only reliable DL media that is widely available is sold under the Verbatim brand.

There is nothing inherently wrong with IDE drives. They work just as well as the SATA drives, but with SATA you don’t have to worry about DMA status, or master/slave settings on the drive, so they should be easier to set up. Using a modern system like yours, I’d get a SATA drive if you plan on buying a new one.

Some good SATA drives include the Optiarc (Sony) 7240s and the 7200s, and 7201s. Pioneer SATA drives are also good, and you should be able to find either the 216 or 217 fairly easily at online sites like Newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com if you are in the US.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2303505]Don’t use Memorex DL media. The only reliable DL media that is widely available is sold under the Verbatim brand.

There is nothing inherently wrong with IDE drives. They work just as well as the SATA drives, but with SATA you don’t have to worry about DMA status, or master/slave settings on the drive, so they should be easier to set up. Using a modern system like yours, I’d get a SATA drive if you plan on buying a new one.

Some good SATA drives include the Optiarc (Sony) 7240s and the 7200s, and 7201s. Pioneer SATA drives are also good, and you should be able to find either the 216 or 217 fairly easily at online sites like Newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com if you are in the US.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot for your help its greatly appreciated! I love newegg for hardware so I will check into the ones you listed :slight_smile: As for the left over memorex discs well maybe I could use a skeet gun on them. :bigsmile:

Ah well I checked both sites as well as tiger direct and none of those were in stock. Would you happen to have any other recommendations?

mwave.com has the Optiarc 7200s in stock: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=AA73432 This is a well respected burner around here, and mwave has always been reliable for me, on par with Zipzoomfly and Newegg.