Is my LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW1213S dying?

My system specs:
Athlon64 3000+ @ 2GHz OC
1Gig PC3200 RAM
1x80GB HDD ExcelStor, 1x120GB HDD Maxtor (Both IDE on the primary bus)
1xHITACHI DVD-ROM - Secondary Master (works fine)
1xLITE-ON DVDRW SOHW1213S Secondary Slave
(I’ve had this one for a little over 2 1/2 years)
Among other components not related to storage

My hardware config has changed little in terms of the order of devices on the IDE buses, and I know this is not where the problem lies. When I enter BIOS setup, all of the drives are detected and identified correctly. Windows also detects all of the drives correctly. I have made no modifications to the firmware of any of the drives in the system prior to the problem starting, only afterward to see if I could fix it. Details below.

Recently (the last week or so) the LITE-ON started acting up. One moment it worked fine and read all of my discs fine. The next, I inserted a DVD to start playing back, and the drive had trouble reading it, trying to scan the disc as if it had error or was scratched in some way (which it wasn’t). So I thought fine, and tried another disc. Same result. Every disc I have tried as either not been read properly or is not detected at all, and yet in the DVD-ROM they’re detected just fine.

Also, the LED on the front of the DVD has now started to blink 3 times steadily, stop for a few seconds, then blink 3 times again before finally going out. Then the OS reports no disc is in the drive. This has happened on every disc I have inserted in the last 2 days.

The drive also refuses to boot discs, so I know this isn’t a driver problem in Windows or Linux (I have a dual boot system).

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or is the drive just wasted and I’ll need to buy a replacement?

Time for a replacement probably. Try flashing it to a 1653S with codeguys firmware in a last ditch effort (backup the EEPROM first if it’s dear to you).

Welcome to the Forum! :slight_smile:

Agree with Cressida. You never know, some Codeguys firmware might give it a kick up the behind :slight_smile:

Mind you, two and a half years is a good run!