Is my hard drive dying?

vbimport

http://s337.photobucket.com/albums/n393/RCM442/?action=view&current=dying.jpg is my hard drive dying? I really need to know please!

Try using a tool from your own HD manufacturer instead of a third party tool and see what kind of results you get.

The short answer is to ignore these readings and use Seatools to test your drive.

[B]Link:[/B] http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

:cool::cool:

Ran seatools, got SMART-Fail and this under the fail reason, going to run seatools tonight to fix it: here’s the error I got
Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools for DOS, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our online FAQ: I have the ISO burned to a CD-R, so I guess I’m off for the night will check back in the morning…

Turns out my SATA cable was bad…I replaced it, problem solved!

Good to hear.

It probably scare ya though. One should still get into the practice of backing up just in case. External hard drives are becoming dirt cheap.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2561308]Good to hear.

It probably scare ya though. One should still get into the practice of backing up just in case. External hard drives are becoming dirt cheap.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

and a while goes by after posting this thread, and it’s DIED COMPLETELY! All it does is click! I can’t recover ANYTHING! I already tried!

One possible solution [B](Warning proceed with caution!)[/B]

Associated Links

[B]How to Recover Files from Your Dead Computer Hard Drive[/B]

[B]Link:[/B] http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/260219/how_to_recover_files_from_your_dead.html?cat=59

[B]Diy Hard Drive Recovery for the Extremely Desperate [/B]

[B]Link:[/B] http://free-backup.info/diy-hard-drive-recovery-for-the-extremely-desperate.html

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2576590]One possible solution [B](Warning proceed with caution!)[/B]

Associated Links

[B]How to Recover Files from Your Dead Computer Hard Drive[/B]

[B]Link:[/B] http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/260219/how_to_recover_files_from_your_dead.html?cat=59

[B]Diy Hard Drive Recovery for the Extremely Desperate [/B]

[B]Link:[/B] http://free-backup.info/diy-hard-drive-recovery-for-the-extremely-desperate.html

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the control board is the problem…I have a way of fixing it though…

[QUOTE=RCM;2576587]and a while goes by after posting this thread, and it’s DIED COMPLETELY! All it does is click! I can’t recover ANYTHING! I already tried![/QUOTE]

And this is why some people, like myself, advocate keeping, not a “backup”*, but a “clone”.

a windows generated “backup” only protects your system setup, it doesn’t do so good a job for your “data”. Your “data” (doccuments, pictures, music & vieo) should be backed up redundantly
(several copies)

a “clone” on an identical drive protects everything, all at once,
and the subsequent “recovery” is as fast as you can work a
screwdriver to install the clone… and clone it again, so you aren’t without a backup

I am never without a clone for my OS/system drive, and that clone is never more than 10 days old.

“Paranoia” is MANDATORY in data protection.
are you paranoid enough?

you were given a clear warning… and you missed it
don’t feel bad, professionals make the same mistake

I have a friend who lost everything on a “mirrored” array…
he made the mistake of using drives that were all the same age
and while doing recovery after one of his drives failed a second
drive failed… and he lost everything…

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2576653]And this is why some people, like myself, advocate keeping, not a “backup”*, but a “clone”.

a windows generated “backup” only protects your system setup, it doesn’t do so good a job for your “data”. Your “data” (doccuments, pictures, music & vieo) should be backed up redundantly
(several copies)

a “clone” on an identical drive protects everything, all at once,
and the subsequent “recovery” is as fast as you can work a
screwdriver to install the clone… and clone it again, so you aren’t without a backup

I am never without a clone for my OS/system drive, and that clone is never more than 10 days old.

“Paranoia” is MANDATORY in data protection.
are you paranoid enough?

you were given a clear warning… and you missed it
don’t feel bad, professionals make the same mistake

I have a friend who lost everything on a “mirrored” array…
he made the mistake of using drives that were all the same age
and while doing recovery after one of his drives failed a second
drive failed… and he lost everything…[/QUOTE]

Your right…I’ve made that stupid mistake in the past! This time will be different! BTW…that other drive, it’s not recoverable! It apparently had a head crash…I got it to spin up, but then I got the SCREEEEEEEEEECH!!! and nothing but clicking now! So yeah, it’s dead!

I had a seagate 400gb drive fail not long ago

Sucker simply locked up, on disaasembly it was found that the MOTOR seized.

Out of warrantee and nothing on it that wasn’t backed up on other drives, so it took me less than 10 seconds to decide to pop the cover and see what died.

THE issue I have with the backup on say… a Win7 system is that the process of backing up is S-L-O-W because backup runs within the operating system.

Look in the topic Cloning software in the General Software forum.

Clonezilla for example lets you boot from a CD-ROM and clones to another drive, even a USB drive…

And you can of course “clone back” is necissary…

I’ve turned off the prompt to remind me to backup with Windows.

It is a Seagate drive so yes it is dying. You just don’t know it yet. :wink:

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2578311]I had a seagate 400gb drive fail not long ago

Sucker simply locked up, on disaasembly it was found that the MOTOR seized.

Out of warrantee and nothing on it that wasn’t backed up on other drives, so it took me less than 10 seconds to decide to pop the cover and see what died.

THE issue I have with the backup on say… a Win7 system is that the process of backing up is S-L-O-W because backup runs within the operating system.

Look in the topic Cloning software in the General Software forum.

Clonezilla for example lets you boot from a CD-ROM and clones to another drive, even a USB drive…

And you can of course “clone back” is necissary…

I’ve turned off the prompt to remind me to backup with Windows.[/QUOTE]

Yup! I did open mine the other day too, same thing, seized, AND a head crash!