Is my drive dying? (Optiarc AD-7170A)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7170A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Think my optiarc is really on the way out this time, it’s burning coasters with all sorts of discs! DVD’s coaster CD-Rs coaster or skip like crazy, is it worth it to open it and clean it, or just replace it? or is it just a hardware issue, I don’t think it’s the media I’m using. I’ve been here a while, offered help with things, and now I need help! :flower:

if you think its dead and you are going to get a new drive and you are confident with opening it up. go ahead open it, blow it out with a can of compressed air.

personally, i would open a drive i think is dead, and a drive i just purchased. new drives are less than $30, so if you want to get a new one is not really a big deal. for me its a learning experience.

if i were experiencing the same:

[ol]
[li]update firmware
[/li]
[li]uninstall/reinstall drivers
[/li]
[li]check cables
[/li]
[li]double check connectors
[/li]
[li]clean the laser [with cd laser cleaner]
[/li]
[li]open drive blow out with duster
[/li]
[li]clean the laser with distilled water and soft tipped swab [dry promptly with duster]
[/li][/ol]

have you opened it up yet. :slight_smile:

have you tried a different drive connected to the same cable?

have you tried different media?

have you spun around counter-clockwise, rubbing your belly and patting your head while reciting the alphabet backwards? :slight_smile: J/K

[QUOTE=troy512;2150364]have you opened it up yet. :slight_smile:

have you tried a different drive connected to the same cable?

have you tried different media?

have you spun around counter-clockwise, rubbing your belly and patting your head while reciting the alphabet backwards? :slight_smile: J/K[/QUOTE]

I cleaned the lens and spindle really well, and it seems to be working fine now! with all media!

as for the spinning around rubbing my belly, and patting my head, do I do this while holding both my drives, and then doing it? :bigsmile: JK!