Is my computer being compromised?

vbimport

Hey everyone, need some help to either start a new thread or find someone who is having/had this problem.
I just went on Google.com. Just below the browser bar at the top right, I have this persons gmail address:
[???@gmail.com]. Is my computer being compromised? Thanks, Dan

Hi valdan1,

I’ve created a new thread for you and moved it to a more appropriate forum.

I’ve also removed that email address as it’s not a good idea to post them on a public forum.

To start a new thread just go to the relevant forum and click on the ‘Start a discussion’ button at the top.

Looks to me as if someone has logged on to their gmail account at some stage and left it logged in.

If that’s the case then you’ve not got a problem security wise and to rectify this just click the ‘sign out’ link at the top right.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2555422]Hi valdan1,

I’ve created a new thread for you and moved it to a more appropriate forum.

I’ve also removed that email address as it’s not a good idea to post them on a public forum.

To start a new thread just go to the relevant forum and click on the ‘Start a discussion’ button at the top.

Looks to me as if someone has logged on to their gmail account at some stage and left it logged in.

If that’s the case then you’ve not got a problem security wise and to rectify this just click the ‘sign out’ link at the top right.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks Wombler, in other words, the two times this happened, someone from anywhere “Not using my computer” signed in to search for the same thing I was.

[QUOTE=valdan1;2555426]

Thanks Wombler, in other words, the two times this happened, someone from anywhere “Not using my computer” signed in to search for the same thing I was.[/QUOTE]

You’re more than welcome. :flower:

I was thinking more of another family member or a guest in your household logging in.

If someone has logged in without having physical access to your PC then it may indeed be compromised.

Check in the control panel to see if remote access has been enabled.

If it has then disable it.

Then also run a full virus scan with whatever antivirus software is installed on your machine and then a full anti-spyware scan with different software (something like SpyBot Search & Destroy) and see if anything shows up.

Don’t forget to update the signatures before doing the scans.

The experts here may have additional advice for you also.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2555430]You’re more than welcome. :flower:

I was thinking more of another family member or a guest in your household logging in.

If someone has logged in without having physical access to your PC then it may indeed be compromised.

Check in the control panel to see if remote access has been enabled

Then also run a full virus scan with whatever antivirus software is installed on your machine and then a full anti-spyware scan with different software (something like SpyBot Search & Destroy) and see if anything shows up.

Don’t forget to update the signatures before doing the scans.

The experts here may have additional advice for you also.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Well here is two things that do make me wonder. 1: Sometimes when I try & log in to my yahoo/at&t email account I’ve gotten this message. “You have been disconnected from Chat because another computer or devise is connected to yahoo chat”. This leaves me to believe that perhaps my daughter may have gotten my password because one time I told her I put a “Key Logger” on her notebook. Since my wifes nephew is going to school to be a IT Technician, maybe he showed her how to hack into my notebook. I sometimes leave it on because I trust that no one here would go into it. I had lost all my saved emails from June 17th & before, AT&T second level technician told me that my computer has not been compromised. He told me that after he did a remote check. 2. When I went wireless, I borrowed my sons router. It’s unsecured & that could be the problem. I do desktop & notebook repair. I’ve noticed that any Dell or HP brand notebook has a better wifi card installed. I know this because both Dell & HP can pick up between 5-8 routers by my house. Although all but one is a secured router. My MSI notebook only picks up my router. The Dell & HP’s Ive worked on were business class that originally cost over $1,500. back in 2007. They must put in better quality wifi cards. So there are the only two things I can think of, unless someone here in my area has gotten into my router since it’s unsecured.
That will change when I install my new wireless N router & have it password secured. But the task of changing my email address at AT&T will be the hard part because almost everything I do, every website I belong to has my currant email address as the contact. As much as I hate to say it, I do think that the problem is in my house. But I’ll try a spyware scan. I like eset for anti virus protection, which I plan on installing next week when I change routers but I may just have to change email addresses just the same. I’ll contact AT&T & talk to the level 2 tech department about having my yahoo email account sent to the new AT&T email account. Last, password protect my computers so no one can just login to my account. Firefox is set to remember my settings so I guess I should change that too since it leaves all my apps open to anyone who wants to browse around. As much as I suggest to people to make their systems secure, I guess I should have been practicing what I preach.

Microsoft Security essentials is free A/V for all microsoft windows, and relatively decent.
Spybot Search & Destroy will pick up a few extra things that A/V programs may not.

Update the definitions for both.

It wouldn’t hurt to download the free version of avgfree/ avast/ eset/ kaspersky antivirus and run the scan using at least one of those.

[QUOTE=valdan1;2555447] So there are the only two things I can think of, unless someone here in my area has gotten into my router since it’s unsecured.
[/quote]
Totally poor form on that. Don’t be at all surprised if other people are using your internet connection.
The worse part is that all traffic being sent via your wifi is UNENCRYPTED, and everyone can connect to your wifi network, leaving your computer potentially fully accessible to anyone. Given that you’re using an unprotected wifi access point, I can only assume that your knowledge of securing your PC against intrusion is not good either.

[QUOTE=valdan1;2555447]
That will change when I install my new wireless N router & have it password secured. But the task of changing my email address at AT&T will be the hard part because almost everything I do, every website I belong to has my currant email address as the contact. As much as I hate to say it, I do think that the problem is in my house. [/QUOTE] Just change your email password to something with letters & numbers in it.

1. Put a password on your wifi!!! Or turn the wifi off, and use a wired connection temporarily!
  2. Change the password on your windows login. (control panel->users->(your account)->change password.
  3. Install antivirus (eset) and spybot S&D … and MS security essentials. Update all & scan/scan/scan.

Well security has always been important. It was the wifi router where I made the mistake of not pass wording it. It was just going to be a temporary router until I got one that I liked. That is my fault. I can’t deny that. I know the only one who could actually gain access to mine. In fact his is unsecured as well. While I was checking my wifi connection, I actually checked one across the street [200 feet]. I know them, no one there who would try to do any hack. Sad part is their router is pass word protected. Well to make a long story short, they used their last name as the pass word. I actually logged in & logged out. I’ll let them know tomorrow that they should consider using a different pass word. Back to my problem, since I get the “You were disconnected from chat because another computer or device is already logged in” when I log into my email account leads me to believe my problem lies here in the house. Unless someone else uses yahoo as their homepage. Next door to me, he uses Comcast & MSN for his internet, I doubt he’s doing it. He has a eye decease & is loosing his sight so I would think he has better things to do other then monitor me. What I like about eset is you can run either avast or avg - which I’m using now at the same time. Nortons & McAfee were never one that I like. Both Norton & McAfee are memory hogs along with online tech from other places in the world, eset is about the only company out there who has tech support here in the states. Another give away is I went to the store & when I came back, my last facebook entry wasn’t where I left it. So someone is browsing around with out trying to cover up what they’re doing. It’s sort of hard to explain so I’ll leave it at that. As far as my wired system, I use it for online purchases so I feel a little bit better. if someone outside the house was in my computer I would imagine I would have had credit card problems by now, which I haven’t. But your right, if I pass word the notebook & desktop I should be able to ensure that any problems here will be finished. if it continues well then that’s another story. Either way next week I’ll have my new wifi installed & all new pass words. Thanks for the reply

And when you’re securing your wireless network make sure you use the most secure encryption level your equipment supports.

WEP is useless and can be hacked in under three minutes.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2555509]And when you’re securing your wireless network make sure you use the most secure encryption level your equipment supports.

WEP is useless and can be hacked in under three minutes.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
WPA, WPA 2. security is supported. Actually about 4 different WPA levels. Lowest is WEP 64,128bit. I still use my desktop [wired] for important stuff. The DSL is so slow here, I would guess most hackers fall asleep waiting to get into someones computer anyway. Unless the wifi they’re trying to hack into uses their last name like my neighbor across the street. I actually got the router & 5 USB wifi adapters free. I was never billed, so if I have to find a better router then I will. It does take some research, everyone says they’re the best. Oh, I’ll install the passwords on the notebooks. I’m the only one who needs to know it. I don’t think it shows up as characters anyway.

[QUOTE=debro;2555450]Microsoft Security essentials is free A/V for all microsoft windows, and relatively decent.
Spybot Search & Destroy will pick up a few extra things that A/V programs may not.

Update the definitions for both.

It wouldn’t hurt to download the free version of avgfree/ avast/ eset/ kaspersky antivirus and run the scan using at least one of those.[/QUOTE]I know I speak for a lot of people here in Michigan who have AT&T as an internet provider. The activity light blinks all the time whether you have wifi or not. I’ve talked to a few people who wonder if someone is using their connection.

Hi,

additionally, I would

• set up user accounts with restricted permissions for regular work, online activities etc.
  • harden the system with Software Restriction Policies
    The result is a heavily locked down system that makes execution of unwanted software near to impossible (unless the system is already compromised for some reason).
    Especially if other people (inlcuding family members) have access to the computer also.

Michael

I was going to wipe both my desktop & my notebook. My wifes notebook has vista home premium so I might just put in one of my stock hdd’s & install 7 home premium. That leaves one last one which I still get the feeling is the problem.

I’m not sure if you were following my posts but back in July, I went back to find my DVDFab email for the keycode because I lost a drive with the program on it. All my emails from June 17th on back were gone. I had level 2 tech from AT&T do a remote check & contact yahoo to see if they had a glitch or for some reason removed my emails. Both came up negative. I did scan my computer to see if I had anything on there. So that does leave me to believe I had a visitor on my notebook. Whats funny is I do a lot of repairs & new builds & always tell the people I work for to make sure that they back up their work & make sure that they are secure. Thanks for the information. Looks like I’ll be busy next week.

Also I have heard reports of router being hijacked (if it’s unsecured) and some how they change the DNS, I’d check in msconfig for that (to be on safe side).

If you suspect that the router is being compromised/hijacked, I’d recommend reset to default and imediately re-configure with new password and such…