Is My BenQ 1655 Dying? It will not burn at 16x

vbimport

Hi

I have tried TYG03, miUAE MCC 004 and MCC 03RG20 at 16x using Nero ‘Create Disc’ to no avail. It simply drops to 4x speed. It used to burn at 16x

I changed IDE cables to no avail. I cannot change IDE ports, b/c my ASUS Maximus Formula only has one.

I checked the DMA2 settings and they have not changed to PIO.

I will burn at 12x and quality scan successfully.

I might try another machine, if i have to. I doubt that will change anything.

:aHere is the attempted burn at 16x scan of TYG03:a

What is the burst rate when reading ?

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2534709]What is the burst rate when reading ?[/QUOTE]

You are talking about a TRT, Yes?

NBK

Yes, sorry for my bad english.
Is your motherboard ide chip a jmicron, or other (marvell/nvidia…) ? Were you able to burn @16x before ? Have you tried with drive in CS mode ? Have you tried with an other power supply connector ?

In the benchmark tab, go to run test and select [B]burst rate[/B] of hit [B]F6[/B]

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2534713]Yes, sorry for my bad english.
Is your motherboard ide chip a jmicron, or other (marvell/nvidia…) ? Were you able to burn @16x before ? Have you tried with drive in CS mode ? Have you tried with an other power supply connector ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding,

The IDE chip is a jmicron.

Yes, i was able to burn at 16x before. I checked some old quality scans and *.png’s that i saved…

I do not think i burned anything in a long time.

What is CS mode?

I have not tried another power supply connector.

The ‘burst rate’ is 24Mb.

Thanks,
NBK

So burst rate is what it should be, no need to test in CS (cable select) mode…
Perhaps try with another power connector, but there is something wrong with buffer…
Could you try the drive on another ide controler ?

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2534718]So burst rate is what it should be, no need to test in CS (cable select) mode…
Perhaps try with another power connector, but there is something wrong with buffer…
Could you try the drive on another ide controler ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Lithium466,

I will try another PSU connector soon.

I only have one jmicron IDE controller. I will put it in another machine tomorrow morning so i can try the BenQ on another IDE controller.

Thanks
NBK

Yep, thus you’ll be sure that either drive or jmicron is wrong :wink:

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2534722]Yep, thus you’ll be sure that either drive or jmicron is wrong ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi Lithium466,

Either one of those causes is not good. I do not know whether the ASUS Maximus Formula can still be RMA’d, if it is the jmicron chip. If it is the BenQ 1655, i know i cannot replace it…

Thanks,
NBK

Sure, but you can continue burning slower than 16x :slight_smile:
My 1620 is producing coasters at any speed over 4x…

Mmm what OS are you using ? And what jmicron drivers ? If you are using jmicron drivers, uninstall them and try using standard windows ide drivers, just in case.

Hey, I was just having the exact same problem with a 1640 @8x. Was using a 1394 FW cable with my external enclosue, switched to a USB cable rebooted everything and no problems with running out of Bandwith anymore @ 8x or 12x.

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2534727]Mmm what OS are you using ? And what jmicron drivers ? If you are using jmicron drivers, uninstall them and try using standard windows ide drivers, just in case.[/QUOTE]

HI,

I am using Windows XP SP3. IIRC, no drivers were installed for optical drives by the OS or ASUS/jmicron.

There is nothing to uninstall that i can find. I will look again when the PC is free…

Thanks,
NBK

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2534736]Hey, I was just having the exact same problem with a 1640 @8x. Was using a 1394 FW cable with my external enclosue, switched to a USB cable rebooted everything and no problems with running out of Bandwith anymore @ 8x or 12x.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

My BenQ 1655 is connected via PATA to my motherboard…

NBK

[QUOTE=NBK;2534747]Hi,

My BenQ 1655 is connected via PATA to my motherboard…

NBK[/QUOTE]
I know:flower:. I guess I should have said my problem was solved by changing cables.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2534750]I know:flower:. I guess I should have said my problem was solved by changing cables.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I have already changed cables to no avail.

thanks
NBK

Maybe try using last jmicron drivers ?

Turn Solidburn off for known and unknown media (OFF/OFF). Then try again.

Here it is negritude,

SolidBurn Off/Off
burned at 16x by Nero DiscSpeed’s 'Create Disc’
Unbranded Taiyo Yuden TYG03

It works! Now i will try it with SolidBurn On/On…