Is my 522446S dead? (kind of long,sorry)

vbimport

Well I’ve finally found somewhere to ask a few questions because liteonit did not respond. Sorry if this is long but I want all the info laid out for a better analysis from those of you who know about this stuff…I am not a computer guru.

Machine:
ASUS P4S8X motherboard
Intel P4 2.4 ghz processor
256 mb ram
XP home
40gb hard drive (I forget the make)
350 W power supply

Bought the machine bundled in April, 2003.

My problem was gradual but at first I thought it was just a write problem. I successfully copied one CD using Nero a month ago or so. Up to that point, I had only used the drive for general purpose reading of cd-rom and ripping cd-s to .wma files. Since that one successful cd-burn, I installed an M-Audio soundcard and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL to do some home multi-track recording.

A couple of weeks went by and I tried to burn another cd. At that point I had not noticed any deterioration in the reading and ripping ability of the drive, although it is possible that this was happening. Anyways, as soon as the burn process started, It would hit about 7% and freeze; no error message, no nothing. Just the red light on the hard drive indicating heavy activity. Could not even control alt delete the machine. Had to shut it off at the power strip. I tried this a couple of times.

i picked up a copy of Cakewalk Pyro, figuring maybe Nero was junk, and I wanted the software to burn CD’s from vinyl anyways. I tried to burn a CD with this application, got right to the burn process, and received the following error:

“Cannot initialize the recorder for writing. Power on or SCSI reset reported by CD recorder. SCSI driver error code=02062900h. CD-R disc not successfully recorded.”

I tried several more times with the following result.

“Write operation was not successful. Write emergency occured. Unexpected distrubance during write. SCSI driver error code = 02030C00H. CD-R not successfully recorded.”

Since then the drive rapidly went downhill. It started stalling when ripping cd-s and now will not even recognize any cd when placed in the drive. The only thing that seems to work is the drawer.

I have updated the firmware throught Liteonit’s website. As far as i know XP is using the proper drivers. I am using TDK 48x CD-R’s. The gradual decline in the CD-RW doesn’t seem to me to be a driver or software issue, but again I’m no expert.

Is my drive dead? I’m a little screwed because I voided the warranty on my bundled machine when i installed my sound card. I just couldn’t see driving 60 miles round trip to have them do something so simple. Oh well.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Sounds suspicious for a IDE or power cable problem. I would replace those before declaring the drive DOA.

ive had the same error code. when it happened to me my writing laser had gone tits up. As for it gradually getting worse, it not reading anymore could be a missing fs_rec.sys file. file system recognition driver. you’ll have to use a floppy or another computer and e-mail to yourself to get it on your computer however since your cd rom cant read discs. good luck with everything.

[QUOTE=migra dude;467198]Well I’ve finally found somewhere to ask a few questions because liteonit did not respond. Sorry if this is long but I want all the info laid out for a better analysis from those of you who know about this stuff…I am not a computer guru.

Machine:
ASUS P4S8X motherboard
Intel P4 2.4 ghz processor
256 mb ram
XP home
40gb hard drive (I forget the make)
350 W power supply

Bought the machine bundled in April, 2003.

My problem was gradual but at first I thought it was just a write problem. I successfully copied one CD using Nero a month ago or so. Up to that point, I had only used the drive for general purpose reading of cd-rom and ripping cd-s to .wma files. Since that one successful cd-burn, I installed an M-Audio soundcard and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL to do some home multi-track recording.

A couple of weeks went by and I tried to burn another cd. At that point I had not noticed any deterioration in the reading and ripping ability of the drive, although it is possible that this was happening. Anyways, as soon as the burn process started, It would hit about 7% and freeze; no error message, no nothing. Just the red light on the hard drive indicating heavy activity. Could not even control alt delete the machine. Had to shut it off at the power strip. I tried this a couple of times.

i picked up a copy of Cakewalk Pyro, figuring maybe Nero was junk, and I wanted the software to burn CD’s from vinyl anyways. I tried to burn a CD with this application, got right to the burn process, and received the following error:

“Cannot initialize the recorder for writing. Power on or SCSI reset reported by CD recorder. SCSI driver error code=02062900h. CD-R disc not successfully recorded.”

I tried several more times with the following result.

“Write operation was not successful. Write emergency occured. Unexpected distrubance during write. SCSI driver error code = 02030C00H. CD-R not successfully recorded.”

Since then the drive rapidly went downhill. It started stalling when ripping cd-s and now will not even recognize any cd when placed in the drive. The only thing that seems to work is the drawer.

I have updated the firmware throught Liteonit’s website. As far as i know XP is using the proper drivers. I am using TDK 48x CD-R’s. The gradual decline in the CD-RW doesn’t seem to me to be a driver or software issue, but again I’m no expert.

Is my drive dead? I’m a little screwed because I voided the warranty on my bundled machine when i installed my sound card. I just couldn’t see driving 60 miles round trip to have them do something so simple. Oh well.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick[/QUOTE]

@soulwraith:

I think there may be a chance the original poster has lost interest somewhere during the 5½ years since the start of this thread. :wink:

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile: