Is my 411S Duff?

Hi All,

Finally got some quality media to TRY and get my 411S writing correctly - Given up with -R media.

Small XBOX Image…
Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01

Full DVD Image…
Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID MCC 002 (Verbatim DatalifePlus)

OK - What am I doing wrong? I cannot buy any better quality media ! :a

Same images written to the same disks with a Pioneer 106D are fine!

Any ideas anyone??

I have the a similar problem. My results are more erratic but the end result is movie DVDs that skip and stutter like crazy.

Check it out here.

Try Memorex DVD-R discs. I haven’t had a problem buring them at 4X and playing them back on a Denon, Panasonic, Playstaion, and Sony DVD player. Or better yet use the memorex DVD+R discs. They are both only 28.50 shipped from Amazon for a 25 pack spindle

Originally posted by aaronwt
Try Memorex DVD-R discs. I haven’t had a problem buring them at 4X and playing them back on a Denon, Panasonic, Playstaion, and Sony DVD player. Or better yet use the memorex DVD+R discs. They are both only 28.50 shipped from Amazon for a 25 pack spindle

As stated - I have given up with the -R media - Tried and tested Ritek Gen4, Gen 3, Princo - I have never had ANY issues with these disks on my Pioneer 106D!

IMO Ricoh+R, Traxdata+R(Ricoh) & MMC Verbatim Data Life Plus are some of the best disks money can buy - If the 411S I have cannot write to them without all these errors, Movies skipping, Xbox not booting - Then to be honest I give in! :frowning:

Don’t get me wrong, I have been a BIG Liteon fan for years - This 411S I have is truely DISAPPOINTING.

Thanks for your help anyhow …

what application are you using to burn to . Nero, Roxio, Sonic MyDVD.

Many of us are using 411s and 811s and are not having problems.

I personally have both drives with lastest F/w and am using

Nero 6.0.0.23 and DVD shrink 3.0 B5

Media I am using are BeAll 4X +R & -R, Ritek 04 4X -R, Ricoh 4X +R & +RW. Memerox 4X +R.

Sure I have made Coaster but the were my fault.

Key important things to remember in burning DVD video.
what media am I using(cheap media give you bad burns usually),
What firmware am I using( new f/w give you more media compatiblity and better burrn results)
What software am I using (Some software version are buggy and will give you bad burns, some if you are using a illegal key will give you bad burns on purpose)
Is your computer setup properly. is your DVD and Hard drive on same IDE controller. If it is, that is not good. Always have the DVD data that you are burning on a different IDE controller then the DVD burner.I.E. Hard drive is usually on IDE1 as master and DVD burner on IDE2 as Master or slave. Never Hard drive on IDE1 as master and DVD Burner on IDE1 as slave.

Is DMA enabled or do you have the most current IDE controller drivers for your system.

This is just a small list of what is needed and if you don’t could cause you to have bad burns regardless of what brand DVD burner you have.

Well, here is my deal.

My 411S is master on the secondary IDE channel. It is using firmware FS0F which is suppossed to be the best one.

I am using Nero 6.0.0.11 since it has been working for me just fine with my Pioneer.

The DVD-Rs I am using are Ritek G04 (which I have checked and verified).

I wouldn’t blame my drive if I was having problems with other manufactures but I picked up a Sony 510a and put it in replace of the Liteon so it is in the same computer, with same config and same software.

Here is a movie for the Lite-On

Here is the same movie with the Sony (same computer, config, media, software, etc)

I must have a bum Lite-On because the difference in results is staggering.

This is what I would have done:

Moved the writer to another computer and then written 1 Mitsubishi DVD+R disc - if it’s still bad - blame the drive and get a new one, it’s probably faulty.

Notice that the Lite-On is picky about ricoh 4X discs, some works good and others works BAD.

In my case I am using Ritek which has some very good reports on this site.

I did write the DVD+R 4X disc that came with the drive and it played well.

I then tried a second Ritek -R G04 and had the same poor results.

I then swapped a Sony in the same computer and wrote 3 good Ritek -R G04.

Who knows. Since many others have good success, I must have a bum drive… but could a hardware problem only affect -r media?

Sounds Like a Bum Drive… Send it in for a RMA if Its Still under Warranty.

:slight_smile:

I have gone through 3-4 Spindles of Ritek G04’s from Newegg in the past month, and have not had one coaster by this drive, other than occasional user error :slight_smile:

Turns out it was the 411S drive giving poor results with quality media.

I purchased a 811S today, a little suspicious it would not work - all problems solved. It writes to the Verbatim DatalifePlus +R(MMC), Traxdata+R(Ricoh), Ricoh’s own +R, Ritek-R (G04) with very good KProbe results - No more skipping movies, Xbox not booting etc - FAITH Restored :wink:

L8ters

Bill