Is Microsoft Office 365 Home premium a good choice?

vbimport

I just wanted to know who thinks it is a good deal and who thinks it is not a good deal. :slight_smile:

Microsoft definitely wants you to think it’s a good deal. Does it (or Office 2013) offer you any services or productivity gains that other versions (which you may have) don’t offer?

I’d let “it’s better for me” be the true judge for this. If you are always in a place with highest-speed WiFi and you never want to travel outside of that cage, then O-365 can perhaps lighten your storage-load.

But I’d really question someone’s storage-needs if they’ve filled up a 120Gb SSD with everything else BUT an Office-type product. “What else do you use? What kind of data files have you created or are storing?”

So, if Storage Limits are a factor, O-365 gives something of an ‘out’ or benefit.

But one day (and probably sooner than later), O-365 User Database (to validate your identity and usage leases) will be hacked, or taken down, and what then? Can you afford to ‘be without’ for a day or two?

I still consider “What services does it offer that are unique to it than no other Office product offers?”

Unless you are required to be fully MSO compatible, might as well use LibreOffice for free instead.

MS Office will NEVER be good value compared to that!

[QUOTE=Matth;2701576]Unless you are required to be fully MSO compatible, might as well use LibreOffice for free instead.

MS Office will NEVER be good value compared to that![/QUOTE]

Is it somewhat like MS office too?

LibreOffice and OpenOffice were the original same product, then a couple of years ago, there was a split and LibreOffice has taken off on its own. I’m uncertain of the differences in services that Libre now offers over Open, but I use Libre quite a bit.

It has more user-customizable features than MS Office - if I take the time to do it. I can arrange and add tool-buttons and menu-items, many of which are CheckBox options (making it easy to experiment - Off, On - and easy to learn how to customize).

My decades of Word experience and files translate very well, and Libre gives me a larger variety of formats to save files, including PDFs. I use WordArt and Drawing features constantly (for user manuals) and I can jump from MS to Libre easily.

My decades of Excel experience shows one missing data-entry factor: when I’m using Excel for a data-entry and right-click on a cell, the pop-up menu offers “Hyperlink”. Libre and OpenOffice don’t have this feature on that pop-up menu - I must use the Toolbar’s button for that. So, the choice is “Right Click & Choose”, or “Slide up to toolbar and choose”. Not much difference.

One other good point about LibreOffice (other than it’s free) is that it cleanly uninstalls itself. I can install it, let users try it for as long as they want, and then if they want to spend a hundred dollars on MS Office, they can without leaving a lot of trash-files on their computer (try doing THAT with MS Office Trial - nope - there’s always little dogpiles left behind).

Libre (and Open) will both ask if you want to use it as the default MS Office application upon installation, and offer to let you Save To the default MS Office formats (.DOC or .DOCX, .XLS, etc) for all of the applications. Very nice.

If I save to the native Libre-Open formats, my files are much smaller than MS Office formats, too, which makes emailing large spreadsheets much quicker.

Price is perfect. Customization is far and above MS Office abilities. I haven’t found one service that Libre-Open don’t have that MS Office does. Because I like to customize toolbars and Libre-Open does that far better than MS Office, I give it an easy ‘preference’ rating.

BUT if I’ve got a hundred data-entry lines to do with Hyperlink-cells, I’ll find myself using Excel for that purpose.